National Hispanic Recognition Program

<p>I am a senior, and was just notified I got the award last week. It’s March. Why did I get it so late?! I wasn’t able to send it with any of my college applications!</p>

<p>Don’t know, talk to your HS GC. Take a look at the NHRP website, they were supposed to have sent a letter to your home address and a certificate to your HS in Sept. of last year.</p>

<p>My DS is a senior this year and a NHRP Scholar. He did have to fill out paperwork with his GC in spring of his Junior year. We received a letter in the fall of the his Senior year from NMSC informing him that he was indeed a Scholar (meaning he had a GPA higher than 3.5). Scholars are the ones that receive Merit Scholarships from certain schools. The school received his certificate and was given to him in the Fall. Hope this helps. Make sure your GC has the paperwork in the Spring and mails it out.</p>

<p>My S got his letter on March 5th. His HS got it yesterday :)</p>

<p>I just took the PSAT last October, am I still eligible to ask for a nomination form?</p>

<p>See the NHRP website for the timeline:</p>

<p>[PSAT/NMSQT</a> Scholarships & Recognition](<a href=“College Board - SAT, AP, College Search and Admission Tools”>For Students: National Recognition Programs - BigFuture)</p>

<p>Forms will be sent to HS GCs in April.</p>

<p>Okay, so if I’m currently a junior, Hispanic, scored 205 on my PSAT, and live in the south, does it seem like I’ll hopefully get that national hispanic recognition? I’ve been hoping, but I’ve found nothing in the mail and nothing from my counselor. Perhaps I’m just too overeager.</p>

<p>Please read the Resources sticky thread for the Regional cutoffs for the Class of 2013 and the post above yours for the NHRP timeline.</p>

<p>To everyone out there on CC just wanted to say thank you so much for all of your input. S has decided on Fordham University. Loved the school and new as soon as he stepped onto the campus it was for him. He received many wonderful scholarships from other schools, but Fordham won him over. Thank you everyone. I’ll be in touch in a couple of years as we also have a Freshmen D.</p>

<p>NHRP Regional cutoffs for the Class of 2014 are:</p>

<p>Region 1 - New England -
Region 2 - Mid Atlantic -
Region 3 - South -
Region 4 - Southwest - 183
Region 5 - Midwest -
Region 6 - West - </p>

<p>Link to map of Regions:</p>

<p>[About</a> Us - The College Board](<a href=“http://about.collegeboard.org/]About”>http://about.collegeboard.org/)</p>

<p>2colleges (or anyone) … I know several Hispanic males who applied and were accepted at Fordham. Does it have super scholarship money for Hispanics?</p>

<p>My son was eligible for the National Hispanic Recognition Program scholarship of full tuition and also for the National Merit Semi-Finalist scholarship of full tuition. They gave him the semi-finalist scholarship. I’m thinking since the PSAT numbers needed for National Hispanic are lower than NJ’s National Merit numbers, they gave him the semi-finalist award and possibly gave another Hispanic that didn’t qualify for National Merit the National Hispanic scholarship.</p>

<p>I had emailed NHRP about class of 2014 cutoff scores for the western states and they had asked me for what state. I replied Idaho, and this is what they replied back with…
“For students who took the October 2012 PSAT/NMSQT as juniors in the state of Idaho, the cut score is 186 this year.”<br>
My daughter made the cutoff by 1 point.</p>

<p>MODERATOR NOTE: When member have updates to the 2014 cutoffs, please copy and repost with the additional information.</p>

<p>NHRP Regional cutoffs for the Class of 2014 are:</p>

<p>Region 1 - New England -
Region 2 - Mid Atlantic -
Region 3 - South -
Region 4 - Southwest - 183
Region 5 - Midwest -
Region 6 - West - 186</p>

<p>I can confirm what was recently reported that the West has a two point increase in scored needed for NHRP. Students in California need a 186 now to be National Hispanic Scholars. </p>

<p>Also in terms of counselors being notified and verifications being sent; I received the information via email from College Board:</p>

<p>Program Updates - Counselors and Administrators</p>

<p>April 15, 2013</p>

<pre><code>NHRP Student Verification Website link was emailed to POCs.
NHRP Eligible Student Roster was mailed to POCs.
</code></pre>

<p>Very thankful my DD is over 186. </p>

<p>P.S. I am going to be on the road for 5 weeks so good luck to everyone in finals and AP exams. Remember to work hard :)</p>

<p>South is 199</p>

<p>We are back! Just found out D, class of 2014, qualifies for NHRP 186 cutoff in CA! S1 was a NHRP scholar in 2011 and is currently enjoying his $30,000 a year scholarship at the University of AZ. (loves the school) Parents be diligent and stay on top of your GC to send in the verification paperwork. Our GC still insist she never heard or seeing paperwork on this award until my son received two years ago ( I don’t think so! ). This is too important to let slip through the cracks!</p>

<p>I agree with hismom2. You have to be on top of this. I had first emailed NHRP to see what the cutoff score for our state was. Then contacted my D GC to see if they received information. My D GC never did. I had emailed NHRP and my D was not on the list (they did not specify if she had not marked the correct box or not, even though I had asked them.) They said that she did make the cutoff and that her GC needed to request for the nomination form. I forward on to the GC. I found that leaving messages at the NHRP voice mail was useless. Emailing got response usually within 24 hours. Be proactive.</p>

<p>Is Texas south or southwest?</p>

<p>Hardworkinggal, I believe Texas is in the Southwest and that your score meets the cutoff. Here is the email I received from the College Board:</p>

<p>For students who took the October 2012 PSAT/NMSQT as juniors in the state of Texas, the cut score is 182 this year. High schools are just now being notified of their eligible students. Award letters will go out in early September of the student’s senior year. </p>

<p>We are new to this process too and this site has been very helpful. I wish you the best of luck! Look forward to seeing your updates!</p>