National Hispanic Recognition Program

<p>Thank you! Very helpful!</p>

<p>So glad to have found this thread. My son made a 188 in Texas, but I spoke to his GC, and he is not on the list. (Took PSAT as a Jr in Oct of 2012.) I have not been able to find official cut-off scores anywhere but on posts in this site. Are these official? The links provided above are for older scores, unless I am missing something. </p>

<p>Should I call the PSAT folks? Or have my GC do it? I really want him to get this–and I’m trying not to be troublesome! :-)</p>

<p>^The cutoff for last year’s class for TX (Southwest Region) was 182; this year it’s reported to be 182/183 by synergyinaction in this thread and another. NHRP does not post cutoffs anywhere, but if you call them they will tell you (you can call, you don’t have to ask the GC).</p>

<p>While I believe these scores to be accurate and are consistent with past years, do call NHRP to be 100% sure, although your S should have no problem with a 188 as the cutoffs only move by a couple of points at the most each year.</p>

<p>Many GCs are not familiar with the process, so definitely be proactive in calling NHRP for the cutoff and being sure that your GC receives, fills out and returns the paperwork this spring.</p>

<p>MODERATOR NOTE: When member have updates to the Class of 2014 cutoffs, please copy this list and repost with the additional information.</p>

<p>NHRP Regional cutoffs for the Class of 2014 are:</p>

<p>Region 1 - New England -
Region 2 - Mid Atlantic -
Region 3 - South - 199
Region 4 - Southwest - 182
Region 5 - Midwest -
Region 6 - West - 186</p>

<p>Map of Regions:</p>

<p>[About</a> Us - The College Board](<a href=“http://about.collegeboard.org/]About”>http://about.collegeboard.org/)</p>

<p>To clarify on Texas cutoff score-my original post had 183 but it is 182. I typed it incorrectly using my phone (large thumbs). Here is the email I received from the College Board:</p>

<p>“For students who took the October 2012 PSAT/NMSQT as juniors in the state of Texas, the cut score is 182 this year. High schools are just now being notified of their eligible students. Award letters will go out in early September of the student’s senior year.” </p>

<p>Hope this helps. Has anyone’s S or D heard from their GC yet on verification?</p>

<p>Thanks, I reposted with the correct cutoff.</p>

<p>To followup with my previous post #618, my D GC requested for the paperwork and received it. She filled it out (although they wanted GPA up through Junior year, she only had up to mid Junior year since this semester is not finished yet and they accepted that.) It was sent off. So if you even think you might qualify and have not been notified, be deligent and call NHRP and GC to get the process going. Neither side would of done this if we had not been inquiring about it.</p>

<p>For those of you who had your child’s GC contact the NHRP, how long did it take to get a response? Our school did not receive anything from the NHRP, so I asked the GC to email this week.</p>

<p>Vboymom, it took just a couple of days for NHRP to send my childs GC the forms needed.</p>

<p>Our GC never heard back from the NHRP. I called them and they have no record of my son, which I thought was interesting because we have received information from several colleges referring to the National Hispanic Scholars program. I called the college board and they confirmed his score and all his personal data. I called the NHRP back and they said to have the GC re-email them. I sure hope it works this time!</p>

<p>As a follow-up–I had my GC request a nomination form, and she is taking care of that for us. My son scored a 188 in Texas, has the GPA, and was not on the list. He swears he marked “Hispanic” on his form. (I did not see it myself, so I can’t be 100% sure, however.) I am a bit worried because we haven’t heard a single thing from colleges, as others here have. I’m wondering if it will be too late in the game. So–if you think your kid qualifies, by all means check it out! I would not have even known a thing about it if not for this board.</p>

<p>Grassblue: The school should be able to confirm his status, and if wrong change it. Also I think you can write to the scholarship people directly. GL</p>

<p>No, it is not too late. Mistakes happen, just be sure to get the paperwork and have the GC fill it out and submit. Even if he doesn’t get the mailings right now, he can still apply for scholarships in the fall.</p>

<p>Very frustrated! Just called NHRP and our S was not even on roster even though he scored a 198, has 3.7 GPA, and checked Hispanic (cutoff for our state was 182). I’m worried because I have not had a good experience with his GC up to this point. Really hoping we can get him verified and all paper work submitted on time. Good luck to all!!</p>

<p>My son was not on the roster, but I just heard back today and so did our GC. She emailed a couple of times, but when I emailed that seemed to get the process going. Now she has the forms.</p>

<p>These types of problems happen every year, either because HSs aren’t familiar with the program/process or because there’s some problem with NHRP coordinating PSAT/ethnicity data for notifying candidates, maybe both.</p>

<p>You need to be persistent, I’ve never seen any qualified students on this forum fail to gain recognition.</p>

<p>The information and support on this site is invaluable. We will keep at it. Thank you!</p>

<p>Called the college board today and they also indicated that my daughter was not on the roster ( scored 190 in CA). She said maybe D didnt classify. Odd, since my son received a few years ago she has heard me repeat it a thousand times “MARK THE HISPANIC BOX”. GC would not do anything to request. So now the Principle’s secretary is requesting through the principle. But not to worry the college board indicated we have until Dec 1 2013 to get verification form in.</p>

<p>My daughter’s counselor called CB and was told the cutoff for Michigan was 197, so I assume this applies for the Midwest. Too high for us! :frowning: But good luck to the rest of you…</p>

<p>^Thanks for the info!</p>

<p>NHRP Regional cutoffs for the Class of 2014 are:</p>

<p>Region 1 - New England -
Region 2 - Mid Atlantic -
Region 3 - South - 199
Region 4 - Southwest - 182
Region 5 - Midwest - 197
Region 6 - West - 186</p>

<p>CB Regions:</p>

<p><a href=“Our Regional Offices – About Us | College Board”>https://www.collegeboard.org/about/region-offices&lt;/a&gt;&lt;/p&gt;