National Hispanic Recognition Program

<p>My son received his yesterday :)</p>

<p>People in my town got letters today. </p>

<p>Question…
Does everyone who made the cutoff PSAT score from their state and has the appropriate GPA get named a scholar? Or does collegeboard only name so many out of those who made the cutoff PSAT score and got the appropriate GPA a scholar? I guess what I am asking is, if you made the cutoff PSAT score for your state and have a 3.5 (the GPA needed to be deemed a scholar), are you automatically a scholar?</p>

<p>Yes, anyone who makes the PSAT cutoff for their Region and has a 3.5 or higher weighted gpa will be designated as a scholar.</p>

<p>Thanks, entomom!</p>

<p>daughter got the certificate from the counselor today!!!</p>

<p>My daughter received her certificate today from her school counselor.</p>

<p>My son received his today!</p>

<p>Aren’t the certificates mailed home? We’ve anxiously been waiting.</p>

<p>@eryjus: No, you get a letter from collegeboard that says you are a Honorable Mention/Scholar for the NHRP and the certificate itself gets sent to your school.</p>

<p>To determine National Hispanic Recognition Scholar vs. Honorable Mention, the Collegeboard uses weighted GPA, not unweighted. Right?</p>

<p>See post #663.</p>

<p>My son has a weighted Cumulative GPA of 3.927 and he had a 199 on the PSAT in Ohio. I contacted NHRP today and they said he would get Honorable Mention. What do you think happened? Do you think GC reported his unweighted GPA?</p>

<p>Possibly.</p>

<p>I posted based on past comments by reliable members like these:</p>

<p><a href=“http://talk.collegeconfidential.com/hispanic-students/640730-national-hispanic-recognition-program-13.html#post10530274[/url]”>http://talk.collegeconfidential.com/hispanic-students/640730-national-hispanic-recognition-program-13.html#post10530274&lt;/a&gt;&lt;/p&gt;

<p><a href=“http://talk.collegeconfidential.com/hispanic-students/640730-national-hispanic-recognition-program-10.html#post10384605[/url]”>http://talk.collegeconfidential.com/hispanic-students/640730-national-hispanic-recognition-program-10.html#post10384605&lt;/a&gt;&lt;/p&gt;

<p>But there’s always the possibility that NHRP has changed it’s policy. I’d suggest first contacting NHRP to find out their policy about gpa. If they accept weighted gpa, ask if you can have your S resubmit. If you’re looking at scholarships, it will be very important that he be designated a scholar rather than HM.</p>

<p>Best of luck, let us know how it goes.</p>

<p>eryjus,</p>

<p>As well as the school being notified, we got a letter (not a certificate) at home, but that was in 2010.</p>

<p>School GC said this:</p>

<p>“We report weighted GPA to National Merit unless they ask otherwise.”</p>

<p>…and in our case they did indeed report the weighted GPA.</p>

<p>mango- call again to see if you get the same answer. I think there may be a clerical error. Ask the GC what the form said that she had to fill out. My DD’s GC told us back in the Spring she had gotten Nat. Hispanic Scholar with a 3.5 or greater and the right score. I do know that scores required for the award went up in many regions this year but gpa is the deciding factor between Hon. Mention and NHS. Good luck.</p>

<p>I found out the GC reported Unweighted Cumulative GPA, which was below 3.5. My son had a weighted GPA of 3.927. I contacted NHRP and they asked the GC to send verified GPA, which the GC did via email. Thankfully it is now corrected and NHRP said they would send the Scholar designation in the next few weeks. WHEW.</p>

<p>Have many others received their NHRP letter from CB? We haven’t received anything yet. I’m curious if they’ve gone out already & if so, why we haven’t received anything yet.</p>

<p>FutbolDad, my dd has also not received her letter or anything from the counselor yet. We live in the Northwest. I wonder if those who have, live in the East?</p>

<p>We live in California and daughter also hasn’t received anything from college counselor or in the mail. I contacted CB last month and informed us that she’ll be a NHRP Scholar. Hoping the notifications arrive soon!</p>