National Hispanic Recognition Program

<p>What do you think the NHRP cutoff scores for the Class of 2015 will be - higher, same or lower from Class of 2014?</p>

<p>Prediction based on past years: same, with some Regions possibly a pt. higher.</p>

<p>Entomom, not sure how to post questions on NHRP so hope this gets to you since I read all your posts and you seem to be working on this for years and know alot. I recently got email from another parent who gave me a copy showing that NHRP Scholars not only need a GPA of 3.5 (Honorable mention 3.0-3.49) but that student must also have ACT of 30 or more or 1330 for SAT along with meeting their state cutoff. I can’t find this information anywhere on CB or on the web. I asked her where she got information and it was another website(don’t know if I can mention that here) but here is what was there:</p>

<p>National Hispanic Recognition Program (NHRP)
This program provides recognition for outstanding Hispanic/Latino high
school students. You must be at least one-quarter Hispanic/Latino, meet
the minimum PSAT/NMSQT cutoff score for your state which varies each
year. Honorable Mention Finalists need a GPA between 3.0 to 3.49 and
Scholar Finalists need a minimum GPA of 3.5 and a 30 ACT or 1330 SAT.</p>

<p>Each year, the NHRP identifies nearly 5,000 students from the United
States and U.S. Territories who take the PSAT/NMSQT and designate
themselves as Hispanic/Latino. The NHRP does not provide a financial
reward. Being named is an important academic recognition and the
colleges participating in the program will receive this information.</p>

<p>2014 National Hispanic Recognition Program Cutoff Score
New England
Mid Atlantic 188
South 199
Southwest 182
Midwest 197
West 186</p>

<p>You may call the National Hispanic Recognition Program to check on your
status.</p>

<p>If you failed to identify yourself as Hispanic/Latino when you took the PSAT,
you can ask your high school counselor to request a nomination form from
College Board.</p>

<p>For more information, send an email to: <a href="mailto:nhrp@collegeboard.org">nhrp@collegeboard.org</a> or call:
800-626-9795, extension 5849.</p>

<p>Sorry for long comment but wanted to show you what I got. No where on any threads here dating back to 2009 can I find requirement for ACT of 30 or SAT of 1330. </p>

<p>Can you shed some light on this confusion? Maybe you have seen this in the past. Maybe this was something new for 2014 and after?</p>

<p>That’s interesting, it looks right on except for the ACT/SAT part. I took a look at the current NHRP website:</p>

<p><a href=“For Students: National Recognition Programs - BigFuture”>College Board - SAT, AP, College Search and Admission Tools;

<p>And it still states as eligibility requirements:</p>

<p>

</p>

<p>Nothing about additional testing requirements similar to NMS. However, I wouldn’t be terribly shocked if they made a change without first correcting their website. </p>

<p>I’m wondering if this is for current jrs who took the PSAT in 2013 and will be the graduating Class of 2014, or it it will be for jrs who take the PSAT this year in fall 2014??</p>

<p>I will try to call tomorrow and report back. Thanks so much for posting, we need to keep up-to-date with any possible changes.</p>

<p>Here is the website that has the information on NHRP additional requirements:</p>

<p><a href=“http://www.collegeplanningsimplified.com/NationalMerit.html”>www.collegeplanningsimplified.com/NationalMerit.html</a></p>

<p>I still don’t know if the information on above website was re-typed by the person who maintains that website or got this information from NHRP or CB directly.</p>

<p>Since yesterday, I contacted a friend whose son was a NHRP scholar in 2011. I saw his certificate: CB NHRP Scholar. It had a CB letter attached that specified that that students with 3.0-3.49 were considered Honorable Mention and students who had 3.50 GPA or above were considered Scholars. That letter was dated Sept 2010 even though award was for a 2011 senior. Back then, they didn’t have the ACT or SAT requirement but did have a GPA requirement to determine which award to receive.</p>

<p>It is now year 2014 and the CB website still doesn’t mention these 2 Awards: Honorable Mention vs Scholar., it just shows 3.0 gpa. It doesn’t have same wording as the letter regarding the 2 different awards based on GPA does it?</p>

<p>So that’s what got me wondering when I saw that websites information regarding ACT and SAT scores. Has CB now also added the ACT and SAT requirements for those students who make the 3.50 GPA to be considered a “scholar finalist”? If they have never added wording on website that was on the 2010 CB award letter my neighbors son got, then I fear that they have also added additional requirements for ACT or SAT scores and not updated website again. If students with 3.50 GPA also have to make ACT or SAT score too, then where is information like the National Merit students that are told they have till a certain date to make those scores? Where do they send scores?</p>

<p>There was a contact person’s name on above website and I emailed her but have not heard back. I asked her if she got information from a recent CB award letter she was given or if CB sent her that information directly to her. If so, why hasn’t CB updated their website? As you know from reading CB website today, there is no mention of the 2 different awards based on GPA and I know they existed back in 2010 based on that letter from CB my friend’s son received. Why not update website and show the difference? If they have added ACT or SAT score requirements to the 3.50 GPA to be a Scholar, it would be nice to know that too. It makes students think that they are a Scholar just by meeting those requirements posted from CB: PSAT region cut-off, 25% Hispanic and 3.0 GPA, right?</p>

<p>Thank you for also looking into this. I look forward to hearing back to see what you find. I’ll update post if I get email from person’s website above.</p>

<p>

</p>

<p>This is the way it has always been. The NHRP website only mentions the lower cutoff; which is actually misleading as most (all?) NHRP scholarships are for Scholars, not HM.</p>

<p>Like I said earlier about NHRP and their website…</p>

<p>I called CB NHRP department this morning and they said that the criteria for Honorable Mention (3.0 -3.49 GPA) and Scholar (3.5 GPA and above) did NOT change for the 2014 Seniors. It is the same as it has been. She said the only thing that changes are the cut-offs for each region which might go up from previous year. She said the student of coarse still needs to meet state cutoffs etc like worded on the CB website for NHRP. Once the student’s school submits the GPA for the notified students, the student will receive one of the 2 certificates in the Fall. She said they have NOT added any additional requirements for ACT nor SAT scores like they have on the National Merit requiring submission of certain SAT scores. </p>

<p>This makes since since the PSAT and SAT are affiliated with CB, why would they ever require an ACT score? </p>

<p>So nothing has changed, if you meet all the requirements on the CB NHRP website and that years cut-off scores. She she said the 2015 (juniors who took in Fall of 2013) scores won’t be out for a couple more months. So the information on that previous website I copied in previous post is INCORRECT, there are NO additional ACT or SAT scores needed for the NHRP Scholar designation. </p>

<p>That was a relief!!! I knew that the CB people wouldn’t do something weird like require a certain ACT score but it’s a strange world and you never know. Now we know for sure. Hope this helps others that might run into that other information that is NOT correct.</p>

<p>I know the website that is mentioned and it is wrong because it was said that about two years ago. They mixed up what you need for National Merit and NHRP. National Merit finalist have to have an SAT score that is consistent with their PSAT score in order to prove the PSAT score was not a “fluke”. My DD is NHRP scholars and she did not have an SAT score that you mentioned and she was fine. </p>

<p>Collegeboard’s information is correct. When you get the letter from them it breaks down the gpa for honorable mention versus finalist. Now the required score may go up a point or do but that depends on that year’s juniors. </p>

<p>Is Texas in the South or Southwest? DD got a 195 on PSAT October 2013.
I called College Board; they said class of 2015 cutoff scores will be released in May of 2014.</p>

<p>Southwest:</p>

<p><a href=“https://www.collegeboard.org/about/region-offices/southwest”>https://www.collegeboard.org/about/region-offices/southwest&lt;/a&gt;&lt;/p&gt;

<p>The cutoff last year was 182, so she should be in good shape.</p>

<p>Here is the new website page of the CB Regions:</p>

<p><a href=“Our Regional Offices – About Us | College Board”>https://www.collegeboard.org/about/region-offices&lt;/a&gt;&lt;/p&gt;

<p>@entomom Thank you for being so very helpful! :slight_smile: I was wondering when, if I did make an NHRP cutoff with a 212, I should expect some kind of news? Because I might not have labeled myself as hispanic on the PSAT. </p>

<p><a href=“For Students: National Recognition Programs - BigFuture”>College Board - SAT, AP, College Search and Admission Tools;

<p>

</p>

<p>No one has posted that they’ve been contacted by their HS GC, so I don’t think NHRP has sent notifications yet. Keep an eye out on this thread, and if you don’t hear anything by the end of the month, give NHRP a call. If you make the cutoff for your Region, they will send the verification information to your GC.</p>

<p>BTW, a 212 should make the cutoff for any Region, congrats!</p>

<p>I talked to our GC yesterday at college night, to make sure he knew DD15 was 1/4 PuertoRican, and he said thanks for letting him know…clearly he hadn’t heard anythign yet.</p>

<p>@entomom and @bopper thanks very much for the prompt responses! </p>

<p>Shouldn’t GCs know since they got letters regarding National Merit commendation cut offs…wouldn’t they receive all these verification requests at the same time?</p>

<p>While both are based on PSAT scores, NMS and NHRP are separate entities and each have their own timetable. </p>

<p>ah! thanks.</p>

<p>That said, NHRP is supposed to notify HS GCs during April of students who make their Regional cutoffs, so it should be any time now.</p>

<p>Is there any benefit as a NHRP? My son was told in Sept 2013 that he was a NHRP and he received a certificate. His SAT score qualified him as a NMF and he won a national merit award after being a finalist. But I’m wondering if the NHRP is just fluff? We didn’t get any offers of financial help for being designated as a NHRP. </p>

<p>Are NHRP cutoffs lower than NM? Yes, but so is the distribution of SAT scores for Hispanic Students.</p>

<p>I think the benefits of NHRP are that it gets a student on the radar of schools as a URM candidate and it provides merit scholarships at many schools. The latter will not be significant for a student that also qualifies for NM; I believe that most, if not all, of the schools that offer NHRP merit also offer NM.</p>

<p>I’m not sure why your S didn’t receive college mailings related to NHRP, my kids did as have others on this forum, see examples here:</p>

<p><a href=“Colleges offering scholarships to National Hispanic Scholars - Hispanic Students - College Confidential Forums”>Colleges offering scholarships to National Hispanic Scholars - Hispanic Students - College Confidential Forums;