National Hispanic Recognition Program

<p>YEA! Congrats, to you and dd!</p>

<p>Ds brought home his certificate from the counselor yesterday.</p>

<p>So I was awarded the scholar distinction for the NHRP, what exactly does that mean for admissions? I see that there are a lot of scholarships given, but is it going to be helpful with admissions to upper tier universities?</p>

<p>NHRP sends out a list of names of scholars to participating schools, so first of all, it gets you on the radar of these schools. It shows that you are among the top Hispanic students taking the PSAT. As far as getting into selective colleges, it is helpful, but just one factor on your application.</p>

<p>I just got my official award from my school principal. I’m only half Mexican though (my dad is from south America and is black, british and indian) and most just assume i’m black. I’ve realized that I don’t need to explain my race to everyone. I’m me and I’m proud of it!</p>

<p>I got my letter recognizing me as a Nat. Hisp. Scholar. The letter said I would receive a certificate sent to my school, but I haven’t gotten it yet. Has this happened to anyone? Should I contact the College Board?</p>

<p>Posts #82 &85 say that they received certificates from their schools in late Sept. Yes, contact your GC and/or the CB.</p>

<p>D2 got her PSAT scores back today, looks like she’ll be within NHRP range. What a relief!</p>

<p>Entomom,</p>

<p>I am so happy for your DD2. Congratulations to both of you. I am working on my NHRP scholarship offering database and will reposted it when I am done. My DS has gotten some new offers that I want to make sure are on the list.
itsv</p>

<p>Thanks itsv, I’m looking forward to seeing the revised list. D2 would like to go OOS, but I’ve explained to her what that entails as far as getting the most bang for her (actually my ;)) buck at both privates and publics.</p>

<p>Entomom, The recent OOS NHRP offers have been great. In fact we had DS apply to University of Arizona because the offer was Honors College with approximately $120K. New Mexico, Iowa State and some others sent in “guaranteed” offers. It is nice to have them offered since it allows them to look at some schools they wouldn’t other. If you want to see some copies of letters, pm me.</p>

<p>Good luck.
P.S. DS got into Penn State on Monday and today he got into Ohio State and Tulane. If he gets any scholarships, I will p</p>

<p>Whoo whoo!!! Aren’t the first ones are sweet!</p>

<p>A NHRP data base of offers would be very nice. These offers should not be kept hidden so our kids can maximize their opportunities.</p>

<p>Tiburones, I have posted my self-created database and have shared it with everyone. In addition to working on it personally, i am trying to see if I can create a website with the info. Any school I or others here know about on cc have been posted. Recently our seniors have gotten some new letters/offers and I will try to update my initial post. I agree, it is terrible that this information is not gathered in a readily accessible place, but those of us here on cc are trying to spread the word.</p>

<p>I got a 200 on the PSAT; I live in Texas, and my GPA is a 88.6 unweighted. Is the NHRP weighted or unweighted to find out if you are honorable mention or not? And what is the cutoff for this year (as in 180-200)?</p>

<p>Go to post #30 of this thread; the poster (who is a reliable member) called NHRP and they said it was a weighted gpa. This is for NHRP scholar, I’m not sure about the honorable mention that you are referring to. HS GCs are notified in mid-May:</p>

<p>[National</a> Hispanic Recognition Program (NHRP)](<a href=“College Board - SAT, AP, College Search and Admission Tools”>Scholarships and Recognition with PSAT/NMSQT - SAT Suite)</p>

<p>Cutoffs vary by state and year. NHRP does not officially announce cutoffs, but you can check this thread and the threads listed on post #1 for past cutoffs for various states. In 1996, the TX cutoff was 181, so I’m guessing you’re fine with a 200:</p>

<p><a href=“http://talk.collegeconfidential.com/financial-aid-scholarships/237998-national-hispanic-scholar-cut-offs.html?highlight=hispanic[/url]”>http://talk.collegeconfidential.com/financial-aid-scholarships/237998-national-hispanic-scholar-cut-offs.html?highlight=hispanic&lt;/a&gt;&lt;/p&gt;

<p>I got a 192 in idaho</p>

<p>do you think that will be high enough?</p>

<p>Have you checked the threads listed on post #1?</p>

<p>Yes I did. I ended up sending an email to someone at NHRP and I got their response this morning.</p>

<p>I made it! :)</p>

<p>Congrats! Care to share the 2010 NHRP cutoff for ID?</p>

<p>well last years cutoff was 184 and the person who responded to my email(i don’t remember the name) said that the cutoff typically doesn’t change except for +/- 1 or 2 points</p>

<p>They haven’t recalculated the cutoffs for this year so officially… I don’t know, but I figured that it’d be safe to assume I made it </p>

<p>Did I jump the gun?</p>