National Hispanic Recognition Program

<p>^^Yes, for schools that are not very familiar with NHRP or for students that might not be identified as Hispanic, you have to look out for yourself and make sure your GC follows up if your scores and gpa qualify for recognition. Here is the email for them to use:</p>

<p><a href="mailto:nhrp@collegeboard.org">nhrp@collegeboard.org</a></p>

<p>My son was notified yesterday 192 in NY. I see alot of Mexican American, Cuban, and International students posting, unfortunately not to many Puerto Rican students. I hope to see some Puerto Rican students reporting in the coming months. Good Luck to all the hard working Hispanic students.</p>

<p>My daughter was notified yesterday in OK. The counselor was not only happy for my daughter, but also for the school.</p>

<p>Wanted to add another advantage of being in the NHRP: Some schools will offset your travel costs to visit them. In ds’s acceptance offer for one college was information about how to get reimbursed for half of your flight, up to $200, if you visit them. I assumed it was tied to his financial aid, but we just got the reimbursement check and on the stub it read for “NHRP.” So, sounds like it was his NHScholar status that merited the offer.</p>

<p>

</p>

<p>I didn’t think that Intl. students qualified for NHRP?? Not sure I’ve ever seen anyone posting who states that they’re an Intl. living in the US, but maybe I’ve missed something?</p>

<p>Thanks for the information Youdon’tsay, great to hear that colleges are recognizing NHRP in other ways.</p>

<p>anyone from Ohio notified yet? anyone know what the Ohio cutoff is?
My son has score of 220 but not sure if he identified himself appropriately. We keep a low profile in our community but still have to endure the “minority” or “mexicans” comments -
we’ve come so far but have a long way to go!</p>

<p>Hi sunnyone and welcome to the Hispanic Students forum of CC! </p>

<p>No one has reported on OH this year or in previous years (I compiled cutoff scores a couple of pages back in this thread). But with a 220, there shouldn’t be any problem with him qualifying. I’ll give you the same suggestion as I have others, if your GC doesn’t call him in by the end of this month, have them contact NHRP via the email given on their website, even if he didn’t self-identify on the PSAT he can still get recognition.</p>

<p>Hooray! My guidance counselor notified me today. 214 in MD.</p>

<p>whew! my GC notified me today. <em>relief</em></p>

<p>Congrats to all, we’re still waiting here in OR.</p>

<p>dont worry ento, im still waiting in WA</p>

<p>Hi, everyone. I have a question which really has me wondering, and I’d love to get some feedback from others on this forum. </p>

<p>I’m not sure how the definition of Hispanic was originally determined by the U.S. government or by the College Board, but after talking to several college admissions reps, I have discovered that college admissions people have their own take on who should and shouldn’t benefit from the Hispanic definition. </p>

<p>A little background: I am an American-born non-Hispanic who lived in Spain for more than half my life before my daughter was born. Her dad is a non-English speaking Spaniard who still lives there. My D was born and lived in Spain until she was eight, when I brought her to the U.S. She (and I) are dual nationals and feel a strong identification with the Spanish language and culture. College reps, however, have told her directly, “oh, no, you aren’t Hispanic, you’re European.” She feels a little offended and confused, since she identifies so strongly with her background. </p>

<p>If socio-economic class has anything to do with it, I should add that I did go to college but her dad didn’t, I’m now a single mother, and we live on a tight budget. My D is a 2010 QuestBridge College Prep Scholarship award recipient, which proves her low income status </p>

<p>What bearing, if any, will her National Hispanic Recognition Scholar award have on her admission to select colleges? I really can’t figure this out. By the way, she got a 5 on the AP Spanish exam and was a 2010 gold medalist on the Level 5 National Spanish Exam.</p>

<p>she is hispanic, (im also from spain)</p>

<p>A student who’s ancestry is from Spain is recognized as Hispanic for college admissions purposes. You already know that NHRP recognizes them, and so does the CA, when a student checks yes for Hispanic, these choices come up:</p>

<p>Central America
Cuba
Mexico
Puerto Rico
South America (excluding Brazil)
Spain
Other----blank box comes up if checked (“if Other please specify”). </p>

<p>That said, not all Hispanics are created equal in the eyes of adcoms. And one of the factors that is considered in determining how much weight to give to a candidate’s “Hispanic-ness” is country of origin. M-A and PR are the most under represented Hispanics attending college in the US, so they are given the most preference. Latinos (Caribbean, Central & South American) may be considered the next most diverse and Spaniards are likely last because they are considered European (and therefore white). No flames on this last sentence please, it’s just my opinion and I know full well that the extent of a person’s Hispanic identity has nothing to do with their country of origin and that Hispanics can be of any race. But coming from the POV of colleges, I can see where within Hispanics as a whole, they might consider Spaniards the least different from non-Hispanic candidates. </p>

<p>marama,
As far as your D, I think that she should definitely keep stating that she is Hispanic in as many ways as possible on her application (essays, ECs, awards, etc.) How much emphasis a college wants to put on her ethnicity based on her Spanish ancestry is totally up to the individual school, so all she can do is state her case and they will decide how much weight they want to give it based on many factors. SES is a factor, and being Questbridge may very well help. </p>

<p>The adcoms misspoke when they said that your D wasn’t Hispanic, they really should have said that for their college, within Hispanics, students with ancestors from Spain were given the least or no special consideration. They should know better, but I guess I’m not surprised :(.</p>

<p>FWIW, my further ramblings on how I think adcoms look at Hispanics:</p>

<p><a href=“http://talk.collegeconfidential.com/hispanic-students/931488-ivy-league-admissions-nhrps.html[/url]”>http://talk.collegeconfidential.com/hispanic-students/931488-ivy-league-admissions-nhrps.html&lt;/a&gt;&lt;/p&gt;

<p>Even though my son scored 203 on PSAT and will probably be NM Commended, it looks like he will not make Natl Hispanic Scholar due to his gpa. He has been struggling with his high level math and science courses (AP Physics and AP Calculus) and that has brought his gpa down to a 3.45. We were very disappointed since he has seriously been thinking about applying to Auburn. Well, weren’t we confused and a bit happy when we read the following on Auburn’s website – we are going to verify with their admissions office if National Hispanic Commended with 3.45 gpa qualifies for this. We will let you know what we find out —</p>

<p>National Merit Finalists, National Achievement Finalists, and National Hispanic Scholars with a minimum 3.0 high school GPA automatically receive:</p>

<p>Spirit of Auburn (residents) or Academic (non-residents) Presidential Scholarship<br>
Tuition for four years, currently valued at $31,600 ($7,900 per year) for residents and $87,664 ($21,916 per year) for non-residents<br>
$1,500 technology allowance in the first fall semester</p>

<p>Auburn Academic Guarantee
- Admission to the University Honors College </p>

<pre><code>- $4,000 enrichment experience stipend available for one semester after the second year
</code></pre>

<p>On-campus housing allowance for four years, currently valued at $18,200 ($4,550 per year)</p>

<p>Thanks, entomom, for your carefully thought-out and well-expressed response. I guess the only things I can add are that, in my D’s case, it isn’t a question of what country her ancestors were from, but rather what country SHE is from. Another point to keep in mind is that other Hispanics also have Spanish blood to varying degrees…</p>

<p>But, yes, you have confirmed what I have already observed. She probably won’t be given preferential treatment in admissions decisions because of her particular brand of “Hispanicity,” but I bet you any money the schools will take advantage of the legal definition of “Hispanic” to declare in their statistics that they’ve recruited another Hispanic!</p>

<p>PaMom, if you need a 3.5 to actually be a National Hispanic Scholar, it seems like there wouldn’t be any NHS’s between 3.0 and 3.5, right? The best course of action would be to call Auburn and ask. My D is going there in the fall, and they have been very responsive to all of our questions.</p>

<p>PaMom, he may not be NHS, but he’ll be part of the Natl Hisp Recognition Program, and that will help get him on their radar. Also, is that 3.45 weighted or unweighted? NHRP uses weighted.</p>

<p>How accurately do fluctuations in NHRP cutoff scores indicate changes in National Merit cutoff scores? Looks like FL’s NHRP cutoff possible went down by 5 points from last year.</p>

<p>

</p>

<p>That’s why I think she should keep emphasizing her cultural ties. While many schools might not consider Spaniards URMs, some may, particularly if she demonstrates outstanding qualities both academically and in connection with her ethnicity. </p>

<p>My kids are half Hispanic and half Asian, so that puts them on the fence as far as attractiveness to adcoms as URMs. In addition, their parents both have advanced degrees and we are upper mid SES, so those don’t help either. However, D1 had great stats AND had demonstrated interest in working in the Hispanic community. I think these two factors helped her to be an attractive Hispanic candidate to despite other aspects of her ethnicity that might not have been so attractive to adcoms.</p>

<p>

</p>

<p>Sure, my H was from Argentina, his grandparents immigrated from the Catalonia region of Spain, but half of Argentines have Italian surnames, there’s no ‘typical’ Hispanic based on either ancestry or race.</p>

<p>

</p>

<p>Without a doubt.</p>