National Hispanic Scholar NHRP Class of 2019

So if we meet the cut-off and apply, we are guaranteed to get it? How do they determine who to choose?

Not sure about the guarantee. As far as I know death and taxes are our only guarantees.

@MangoLover11223

That is my understanding, yes. In 2016, I called the number at College Board and asked. So, what’s the cut-off in our state? Okay, D made it. Does that mean she’ll be named in the fall? Yes.

Does anybody know when results come out? I should have qualified but I am wondering if we will know before Nov 1st (Early deadline for most schools)

You should find out in September.

Thanks! @ababac

Here is another school: Northern Arizona University gives the following automatic scholarship to National Hispanic Scholars. It’s called the NAU National Scholars Award

100 percent tuition covered, $1,000 stipend for years 1 and 2, and automatic entry into NAU Honors College. In addition, the award may be applied towards tuition for most study abroad and exchange programs.

https://www.uky.edu/financialaid/scholarship-incoming-freshmen

University of Kentucky has updated their scholarship for incoming Freshmen Fall 2019.

The Patterson Scholarship is still being offered to NMF, and NHRS. Full tuition for four years. $10K room and board stipend for first two years, on-campus only.

A few years ago while visiting the Grand Canyon we stopped by Flagstaff. Northern Arizona in Flagstaff is a nice school in a beautiful town. Thank you for sharing!

The scholarship offered at University of Kentucky is one of the best that I have seen for National Hispanic Recognition Scholars. Thank you for sharing.

Here is another – I just received a postcard in the mail today:

Carleton College: “NHRP scholars are eligible for a Carleton scholarship of $2,000 per year. Plus we’ll eliminate loans form your first year aid award and replace up to $10,000 of loans with grants over your four years at Carleton. We’ll also help cover your travel costs if you want to visit Carleton”.

My son also rec this postcard from Carleton College.

We went to visit UK last spring and my son loved it. It is a beautiful campus in a really nice college city.

Does anyone recall from last year when then official NHRP acceptance letters first start landing?

Thanks for sharing the UK info. That is a fantastic scholarship! I had not known about NAU either. Thanks for sharing everyone!

Yes, the UK scholarship is a fantastic deal. The school and city have a lot to offer.

Our kid felt we forced her to go there (because of the scholarship) and she was not happy about it at first because she wanted a prestigious elite private school. She is a junior now and really likes UK a lot.

I did not confirm the details, but I believe the Patterson still requires a 3.0 GPA – which is a relief for students in difficult fields (engineering!).

With AP and CLEP credits, plus taking 1-2 Winter Intersession classes (not covered by Patterson), she can graduate in three years. She has added a minor though, and will stay a fourth year, because of the scholarship and low cost.

I mention this because UK has been generous with AP and CLEP credits, and it gives students wiggle room in case they make a course correction in their major etc.

My son and I just got back to Michigan from a UK visit last Friday. I can confirm that the Patterson still requires the 3.0 to maintain. It was our first college visit but we loved it and I really haven’t seen much negative about UK particularly from out of state students.

I had to force my son to even go and visit UK. After the tour and meetings he was asked how he liked it and his response was great. “I didn’t want to like it but I really like it”. That says it all. It has remained at the top of his list for schools rotating between his 1st and second choices.

I was told by NHRP that they will go out at the end of September.

That may be the official line, but it seems like last year people were posting on CC that they started getting notifications in the mail around Labor Day.