National Hispanic Scholar NHRP Class of 2019

Yes got confirmation as well. Although I was told back in May that if you hit the PSAT cutoff in your region, have a 3.5 or higher and are 1/4 Hispanic and send in guidance counselor signed form by June 30th, you automatically are named a National Hispanic Scholar. There is no subjective component. If you meet that criteria and get it in on time you are recognized. Thx.

Thank you @Loki71 just confirmed it here too! Yay!! Congrats everyone!!

Can anyone share the number they called to confirm? I’m at work and don’t have my daughter’s paperwork…

866-545-8467

Called and confirmed as well. Thanks.

Thank you for the number, she’in!!!

Called and confirmed. Thank God!

Thanks so much to everyone on this thread who has offered words of encouragement and help. Best senior year wishes to everyone! This is such an exciting time, for seniors and parents alike.

Certificate was in the mailbox today! I’m in AZ. I figured I’d get it, it’s just a relief now that I know it’s official. Time to go ballistic on these college applications lol

I called to confirmed my son is in today! What an excellent opportunity for our children and the students on this thread. When I tell others about it they are blown away by this opportunity. Make the most of it, I know you all will.

Called and confirmed today. My son is in. Yeah!! So happy to be able to start putting it onto his college applications.

Called and confirmed today!

@sarajayhawk Congrats!!

Did anyone get the certificate yet in Fl? Also, do high schools give any kind of recognition when notified?

What benefits NHRP scholars get ? Is there a site I can check ?

@Mespinosa1 Sadly there is not, but I am working on that. I hope to have a website with database in the next 6-8 months. Every school is different. Many offer nothing, some offer hundreds or tens of thousands of dollars, others full tuition, stipends.

@Dinaltc The letters were sent last Thursday, but were sent via non-profit postage which can be quite slow. From what I can tell most of the east coast has not received them yet. I would think by the end of this week most should have them. You can also call 866-545-8467 and ask if your son or daughter has been recognized. Then it will just be a formality of receiving the certificate.

As far as school recognition - your child’s school will receive notice. I have seen schools who have recognized National Merit Scholars at the end of the year and I am pushing my daughter’s guidance counselor to recognize her as an NHRP Scholar as well. At one event at a HS last year, the Asst. Principal spoke to how elite the National Merit honor is and the scholarship the student received. I believe NHRP is similar (and colleges seem to treat them as equals). Recipients are in the top 2% of 250,000 Hispanic/Latino students, I think that is very impressive and many of the college scholarships are amazing.

Thank you for posting the phone number. We are in VA and no envelope yet. But, I called today and was told that my son qualified. I figured he had but it is nice to have it confirmed. As everyone else has mentioned, she told me the big white envelope was mailed and should arrive soon. I was surprised the phone was immediately answered on the first ring - and the number posted goes directly to this department. Thanks again for sharing the information.

http://talk.qa.collegeconfidential.com/financial-aid-scholarships/2006094-2017-automatic-full-tuition-full-ride-scholarships.html

^^^ This thread is a good starting point.

Some schools that offer big merit scholarships to National Merit Finalists also offer big merit scholarships to National Hispanic Scholars as well (ex: U Kentucky).

In addition, if your student has high scores on standardized testing, you may run across schools that offer big merit scholarships based on ACT or SAT scores.

Of course, always go directly to each school’s web site for undated scholarship information for your student’s class & watch your application deadlines very carefully. Scholarships often have early deadlines.

Certificate arrived today in NH.

There is a special scholarship at the University of South Carolina that hasn’t appeared on any thread yet. It is the following. It is especially good for someone who is subject to out-of-state tuition.

Provost Scholars Award

Annual value: Up to $6,000 + tuition reduction to in-state rate
Four-year value with tuition reduction: Up to $101,700

The university annually awards scholarships to National Merit Finalists and National Hispanic Recognition Program Scholars. The competition for these awards begins when you take the PSAT/NMSQT in your junior year of high school. To be eligible, National Merit Finalists must list the University of South Carolina as their first choice through the National Merit Corporation. The National Hispanic Recognition Program will send us the names of the scholars selected for that program. The Provost Scholars Award is the only general university award that can be combined with another admissions-issued scholarship. Recipients of this award qualify for the in-state tuition rate if this is their sole award. If they receive two university-issued awards, they will receive only one instance of tuition reduction.
Please note that for most students, the total award amount includes a $500 National Merit Scholarship.

The school link is the following:

https://www.sc.edu/about/offices_and_divisions/undergraduate_admissions/tuition_scholarships/scholarships/nonresidents/index.php