National Merit and National Achievement

<p>Has anyone else made National Merit and/or National Achievement SemiFinalist? Also,what were your counselor(s),teachers and vp's reactions? Commended for either comment too.</p>

<p>I made outstanding participant (secretly, I didn’t study or prep for the PSAT…lol most of us just wanted the day off…)</p>

<p>lol beautifulnerd. there were 24 commended seniors in my school, out of our class of 98 which is roughly a quarter of my class. I’m so proud of my friends but unfortunately i didn’t make it. I was soooo close!</p>

<p>Aww ^^^ I’m sure you did a great job. That’s A LOT. Lol we only had 2 including me.</p>

<p>Nice job! 10char</p>

<p>I was one of those fellows last year. It was exciting, but no one in my school administration really seemed to care… which is unfortunate because i’m pretty sure i was the first to achieve that. </p>

<p>oh welllll such is life.</p>

<p>That really sucks. That’s something to really be proud of.
I was wondering would being a CKSF Team Captain be something to put down on a college app. I thought it might sound silly, but then again, I don’t know. I’m just wondering. (Random, I know)</p>

<p>I’m a semifinalist for National Merit and National Achievement. Sometimes I get sort of upset that National Achievement even exists, because then people think I’m only a NASF, and you don’t need a high score for that. </p>

<p>I was congratulated by a couple of teachers, but, including commended, we normally have well over 30 at my school, so it’s not that exciting. It’s not like I studied hard or ever expected to not be a NMSF. None of my friends who have it think it’s a big deal either.</p>

<p>I’m a Semifinalist for National Acheivement. I was the only one in my school this year. There was also only one National Merit Semifinalist this year. But we had about 4 Commended Students, and about 3 National Hispanic Scholars. There’s usually more of all of these at my school, but my grade overall is pretty dumb :P</p>

<p>People congratulated me, including teachers, principal, guidance etc. They put a little blurb + pic in the local paper, like they do every year.</p>

<p>Am I the only one who’s school recognizes National Merit winners but completely ignores National Achievement winners?</p>

<p>I got it for National Achievement. I was the only one at my school and 1 out of 22 in the county.</p>

<p>Last week my school made a special announcement concerning National Merit Semifinalists. They basically named and congratulated the NMSFs and told them how proud they have made the staff.
I was surprised that they neglected to congratulated NASF like myself.</p>

<p>haha okay i’m not the only one!
whatever i’ll just keep winning awards and get into a good college.</p>

<p>i don’t need recognition to make me happy really…</p>

<p>i’m also a semifinalist. i was kinda surprised…i’m the only nasf at my school, but we had 2 national merit semi finalists. and about seven commended merit scholars and one outstanding nasf scholar.
do you guys know what schools offer good scholarships for that? i know auburn has free tuition for all four years.</p>

<p>^ How do you know you’re a finalist already? I’m assuming you’re a senior since you’re asking about schools still.</p>

<p>I’m a semi-finalist btw.</p>

<p>im a semifinalist too, only one in my school. My sister was one last year too, so of course, according to my mother it was vital that i was. anything my sister can do, i must do better… jk :)</p>

<p>aaannndd no one really said anything. the counselor announced it during morning announcements, but other than that, nothin much. :/</p>

<p>national acheivement on the other hand… they gave the girl flowers. and she was just honorable mention (which im pretty sure is lower than semifinalist maybe?) but whatever. im still happy :))</p>

<p>semifinalist**</p>

<p>yos: I heard from a Fordham representative that they offer full tuition for NASF and NAF if your grades are good enough- I don’t know the specifics of this though. There was an old thread on CC about such scholarships, I’ll post it if I can dig it up.</p>

<p>Sorry for the double post! (wouldn’t let me edit my previous post…)
Yos: Here is the link to the National Achievement Finalist and Semi-Finalist Merit Aid post I was talking about:
<a href=“http://talk.collegeconfidential.com/4881715-post43.html[/url]”>http://talk.collegeconfidential.com/4881715-post43.html&lt;/a&gt;
But the post is from 2007, so you should probably check the links to make sure the awards are still applicable.</p>

<p>I found that Vanderbilt also has aid based on National Achievement (and Merit)- <a href=“http://www.vanderbilt.edu/scholarships/additional.html[/url]”>http://www.vanderbilt.edu/scholarships/additional.html&lt;/a&gt;&lt;/p&gt;