National Merit Finalist appeal

Received the dreaded rejection letter in the mail today. For those of you also anxiously watching your mailboxes, I was rejected with a 3.78 gpa, with the cited reason being not “consistently high academic performance” 2bd semester 9th grade year comprised of 5 B’s and the only semester C to ever appear on my transcript. A flat 3.0 gpa for the semester. The cause for these grades was a diagnosis with severe depression and anxiety following the death of a close friend 3rd quarter freshman year. Since 10th grade first semester I’ve maintained at least a 3.5 gpa each semester, finishing with the aforementioned 3.78 gpa, 8 AP’s, and 8 honors on my transcript. I had a confirming ACT score of 34. Of course I’m going to appeal, but I haven’t seen anybody win an appeal before. If somebody knows something I don’t, is there a chance I win the appeal?

1 Like

I would definitely try

I have not seen or read anywhere any objective criteria on how they determine a student moves from the semi-finalist stage to the finalist stage. My son’s high school counsellor mentioned that the “high school” sends a recommendation to the Nationa Merit Corporation.
I would advise that you check with your high school about the recommendation and hopefully you get some honest feedback from your high school. Good luck and hope things work out in your favor.