National Merit Finalist Texas A&M

I am a National Merit Finalist and listed Texas A&M as my first choice school, but when I log on to my Texas A&M financial aid portal, it does not have Texas A&M’s national merit scholarship listed and it still shows the the out of state tuition price. Are there any National Merit Finalists who have their scholarship listed right now?

Also, so far the only scholarship listed in my financial aid portal is the president endowed scholarship for 3000 a year. I heard that Texas A&M will sometimes stack scholarships for National Merit finalists, so does anyone know if Texas A&M has already released all of their scholarship offers or if there could be more to come?

Texas A & M, like most colleges, waits until they have been forwarded the FINAL list of NMF’s first choices from NMSC in mid to late May.
Until you have been accepted there, AND have committed to enrolling there AND have made sure that your final NM first choice college is indeed Texas A&M - all of which happen in May- you probably wont see any change in your FA portal regarding NM until the summer .
I would not worry about it.

NMSC will send out the first line March 1 so if you’ve already listed the school as your first choice, your name will be sent to the school next week. You should call the school to ask them your question about stacking.

My son’s financial aid portal also only shows the $3000 Presidential Endowed Scholarship even though he has been told he would receive several other scholarships. I’m guessing they will show up after the date that they are required to pick their first choice by. He has also already selected A&M with NM. My understanding is also they will stack the scholarships.

Don’t worry! Mine only shows the PES as well, but I’ve been told that the other scholarships will start appearing early March.

Has anyone seen any updates to this? My son still only shows the PES and he is a national merit scholar. Did anyone else also get stacking scholarships?

My son’s now shows a national merit recognition award of 7,000 in addition to the PES. He has other scholarships that he has been offered by a foundation that are not showing up yet. Did your son have tamu listed as his first choice with NM?

@rosegeo My daughter’s now shows the 7k but not Brown if that’s your foundation too. I keep waiting to see the final $'s. Mine listed A&M as 1st. choice but has not accepted, to my dismay, she’s waiting on Rice, etc… on April 1st.

@Momtaro Yes, my son got also got the Brown Foundation scholarship. He will be attending A&M, that is an amazing scholarship. He also applied to Rice as well. He has not withdrawn his application, is really just curious to see if he gets in and what they offer.

@rosego That’s great! We are working on her. I think she’s close to accepting. We’re going down in 2 weeks to meet with a few people, tour the dorm, etc… She’s probably going to hold out till April 1st., but I’m praying she’ll commit. Other schools would have to come through with an awful lot of money for her to say no to NMF $ and Brown.

@rosego Is your son doing Honors Program? Mine’s been accepted but I have questions about the program.

@Momtaro He hasn’t decided yet. We visited a couple of weeks ago and talked with someone from the honors program so I might be able to answer your question.

@rosegeo We thought it’d be good for her b/c smaller classes, but it looks like they have a lot of extra things they have to do and I don’t want her overloaded. We were just looking for the small class benefits.

My understanding is that the main requirement is to take a certain amount of honors classes. University honors require them to live in the honors dorm and take a special class freshman year. I think the benefits of the smaller classes and earlier registration will be worth it. They already have to keep the 3.5 GPA. My son will probably do at least one of the honors programs, has applied to the engineering honors already.

@rosegeo Well that sounds better. She’s going down in 2 weeks and is mtg. with Honors. Someone suggested not doing the Honors College and just taking Honors classes. Don’t know how that works. If she commits we’ll let her make that choice. It does sound like a good thing though.

@Momtaro I thought you had to be in one of the honors programs to take honors classes but don’t know that we actually asked that. Are you in state? We are in Arizona although I grew up in Texas and my husband and I met at A&M during grad school.

@rosegeo Yes I’m in Texas. I met my husband when he was in grad school at A&M and I was undergrad! We lived there for a number of years and had our son while we still lived there. Our son went to A&M but he didn’t get all these benefits she would get. He paid his way through like we did. She’s just stubborn and hates football, and we are die hard Ags, so she’s just bucking the system. She wants to go to vet school. I mean, come on kid, you are right where you’re suppose to be :slight_smile: I know she’s smart, but I just don’t see Rice saying here ya go kid, full ride come on down. My husband keeps saying don’t doubt that it could happen. She applied to Stanford, Dartmouth, Notre Dame, Vandy and some others. I just think she’ll be better off at A&M. I grew up in Houston.

@Momtaro Yes, I don’t think Rice gives many full rides. I figure at most he would be offered half the tuition there. He applied to several d2 and d3 schools because he wanted to swim and could at that level, not at a&m but the Brown Scholarship is just as of good of an offer to pass up for him. I grew up in Houston as well.

@Momtaro we live in Tennessee and visited Vandy numerous times. Our son was recruited by Vandy as well as Rice, Chicago, and Yale and they all were going to give us enough money that going to A&M would cost us much more… but just looking at the students on campus, our son decided he only wants to go to A&M. Even at Vandy, the students don’t look sharp!

Oh btw, my hubby is an aggie and he went to Bryan high. His parents and siblings still live in B/CS