National Merit Scholarships at Bama

<p>Hey everyone,</p>

<p>In order to receive the National Merit Finalist scholarship package from the University of Alabama, do I have to list it as my first choice on the NMF application? I’m pretty sure that I do, but the Bama scholarship website didn’t mention it, so now I’m confused. I would appreciate some clarification very much. </p>

<p>Thanks!</p>

<p>Forrest</p>

<p>My recollection is that you do not need to list UA as your first choice to receive the NMF package (tuition, housing, annual stipend, study abroad stipend), but will need to do so to receive the computer that is associated with the package. Someone please correct me if I’ve gotten this wrong.</p>

<p>Calling the scholarship office at UA will get you a definitive answer: Local: (205) 348-8201, Toll Free: 1 (800) 933-BAMA (2262).</p>

<p>You’re fine! As long as you let the National Merit Scholarship Corp know that UA is your first choice by a certain deadline (I think it’s in April or May), you’ll be set. :)</p>

<p>You do NOT have to list Bama as your first choice until May 1st.</p>

<p>You can be undecided now or whatever. </p>

<p>Where are you from?</p>

<p>Have you visited Bama?</p>

<p>Have you looked at Bama’s Honors College? There are 2 with competitive admissions that might interest you.</p>

<p>I live in New Mexico, but my dad went to college at Alabama. I’ve been to a football game in Tuscaloosa but that was a couple of years ago - I haven’t been to Bama on a visit to learn about the school.</p>

<p>Is malanai correct about the National Merit awards (i.e. one is eligible for everything in the scholarship except the iPad without listing Alabama as the 1st choice)? I would prefer to go ahead and select a 1st choice before I submit the application (no later than 12 Oct). </p>

<p>Thanks everyone</p>

<p>^^^ My D designated her “reach” school as her #1 NMF choice school initially thinking that it was one way to demonstrate interest. She was accepted there, but when she chose to attend Alabama, she switched her choice to UA. You just need to be mindful to know the deadlines for making the changes. The process was quite simple. I hope that helps.</p>

<p>Hey Forrest,</p>

<p>I just spoke with Undergrad Scholarships at UA and they said the current rules are that you need to declare Bama as your #1 choice with the National Merit folks by “the end of May.” It’s OK to designate another school #1 anytime prior to that, as long as you change your designation to UA with the National Merit Corp by the end of May. It’s a simple matter of faxing in a form to them.</p>

<p>Hope that helps.</p>

<p>by “the end of May.”</p>

<p>Are you sure…Scholarships told me May 1st…end of April.</p>

<p>Either way…a student should know where he’s going by May 1st. LOL</p>

<p>That was the verbatim quote, m2ck. I’m with you, though. Do it by May 1. Mom knows best!</p>

<br>

<br>

<p>DS got a very, VERY nice laptop. Way better than an iPad. :slight_smile: Thanks, Bama!</p>

<p>Thanks for the input! I found it all very helpful.</p>

<p>Yes, just to clarify, Bama has changed from the laptop to an ipad.</p>

<p>^^^Really? The NMF kids get an iPad now? Interesting.</p>

<p>Montegut: I don’t know for sure why the change from laptop to iPad took place, but my speculation is that a lot of NMF’s probably already have laptops. Since some prospective students would prefer Macs to Dells,and others would want a technology stipend, changing over to an iPad is a less expensive option while supplying a useful/fun piece of technology to the kids.</p>

<p>worst decision ever… smh</p>

<p>Aw, I wanted a laptop. The one I have now is all broken up. But I guess an iPad would be a helpful thing to bring to class.</p>

<p>I think Bama was tired of hearing that kids already had a laptop and/or they wanted a different one. </p>

<p>Arizona or AzSt has been doing this for a couple of years; perhaps the positive feedback from that inspired the change. </p>

<p>I’m sure that the iPad that will be purchased will be the best one offered at the time …not one of the cheaper models. </p>

<p>And, yes, an iPad can be much easier to take to class.</p>