National Merit & the College Plans Reporting Service

<p>Hi. D got her letter today from the NMSC with the offer to be referred to two schools by the College Plans Reporting Service. Alabama is definately on her list of potential schools, but we are wondering if there would really be any advantage to listing Alabama as one of the two schools. We know they are extremely generous with their scholarships and get so many National Merit applicants. She is also considering a few other schools, two of which would probably take more notice of her potential status as a NMSF, and which give a limited number of scholarships to NMF’s. Any insight? Thanks!</p>

<p>Don’t worry. Name whatever schools you want. Bama won’t care if you end up naming them next year.</p>

<p>Frankly, I’m not sure the other schools really pay attention to this except to maybe put you on their mailing list.</p>

<p>Do a few searches on the other schools on your list. For example in the past Rice has waived the application fee for students that listed them on the early letter. I have heard of a few others that may send a shirt or something like that. Beyond these perks M2CK is correct this early list really isn’t too important besides showing a school that you have some interest.</p>

<p>Thanks for the responses. We’ll be visiting one of the alternate schools before the deadline, so dd will decide after that visit. </p>

<p>I appreciate all the infomation on this forum. DD definately wants to visit UA after all we’ve read here.</p>