National Merit Winners

Is this paragraph describing winners is a recent addition or it was always there? What are the total numbers of scholars selected by the foundation itself? Still 2,500 winners or there is a change?

https://www.nationalmerit.org/s/1758/interior.aspx?sid=1758&gid=2&pgid=424

Winner Selection

All winners of Merit Scholarship awards (Merit Scholar® designees) are chosen from the Finalist group based on their abilities, skills, and accomplishments—without regard to gender, race, ethnic origin, or religious preference. A variety of information is available for NMSC to evaluate: The Finalist’s academic record, information about the school’s curriculum and grading system, PSAT/NMSQT Selection Index score, the high school official’s written recommendation, information about the student’s activities and leadership, and the Finalist’s own essay.

Still waiting…It says we will be notified on Feb 8th?

I think Feb 8th is only when they send out the letters.

They also say that they’d send out notifications to all that aren’t qualified for the finalist. Does that mean we are all in at this point? Also, will that help to appeal for admission for some schools at all?

I think that wording has always been there.

Notifications to school Principals went out via US Postal Service on Monday. Notification to student home addresses will go out the same way next Monday so, in theory, expect something in your mailbox mid-week.

Notification to non-finalists have traditionally been sent out a week or two in advance of the Principals mail, so if you haven’t received anything yet it should be a good sign. But I haven’t seen any confirmation of a negative letter this year (they are relatively rare).

1 Like

A friend of mine received the notification last week, unfortunately.

I’m sorry about your friend. Was it expected based on their app? My understanding was that as long as you got everything in you should be OK, especially since there was no qualifying score to worry about.

I didn’t ask. I have the same impression that people barely get kicked out from the semi.

Has anyone received word on national merit?

nope. But my dd’s school would probably not reach out anyway.

I looked at the 2020 thread.
Letters were mailed on Monday 2/3.
A couple people in the Midwest (Wisconsin, OH) got notified on Friday 2/7
A couple people on Sat 2/8 (I saw a NY and OK poster), that would be dependent on someone at the HS working on a Saturday.
Most others got notified on Mon 2/10

So if that pattern is the same year, some should start hearing in the morning (2/5). The rest of us might have to wait the weekend and find out on 2/8.

If a NMF, my kid has almost full ride at one school, tuition free at another, and around 50k at another, and 2/8 is her 18th birthday. Hopefully it will be a happy day for us.

6 Likes

Congrats! If you don’t mind, what school gave the full cost for NMF/NMSF?

Advance Birthday wishes and hope your kid will get “NMC GIFT” on her birthday!!!

1 Like

No problem, UTD

1 Like

Still waiting here as well… was really hoping we’d have news by now! But, I keep reminding myself that the mail is even slower this year than usual. Plus there’s bad weather in several areas of the country that’s probably slowing things down. I’m hoping my son’s school gets the letter today, fingers crossed!

1 Like

Me too. Getting that letter will mean that my son can have a full ride in 2 of his 6 schools and a substancial amount for another one. Fingers crossed

Hello all:

Just wanted to let you know we have a class of 2021 National Merit thread that has been going since last year. Pop on over there - it’s too confusing to have two threads going at the same time.

Class of 2021 National Merit Thread - Financial Aid & Scholarships / National Merit Scholarships - College Confidential

@skieurope is there any way you or the appropriate mod for this part of the forum can transfer the replies to the other thread and close this one? Just to avoid confusion? Thanks!

2 Likes

Closing thread for the above reason. The new platform appends posts to the bottom of a thread if merged, so I avoid merging threads.

1 Like