National Scholar Visit

<p>We have just registered to visit UA in January as part of Nat’l Scholar Visitation program. Has anyone done this before? Son will stay in the honors dorm with a current student, and we will all attend informational programs. Any advice as to any sights to see while we are in Tucson?-- we are arriving a day early, so won’t have MUCh time, but don’t want to miss any must-see attractions. Also, we would welcome any suggestions for hotels nad restaurants in the area. Thanks.</p>

<p>Besides golfing, hiking and exploring desert landscapes, there is not much to do in Tucson. If you are more of a hiking/ desert sightseeing type of person, there are 2 Saguaro National parks, a Desert Museum, Sabino Canyon and Mt. Lemon. Unfortunately these places require a bit of a drive as they are located near the outskirts of town.</p>

<p>Personally I would recommend exploring campus. I did a class session/tour (not the National Merit one) and that took up most of the day. There are interesting parts of campus that are left off on the tour. Also maybe go and take a walk on University Avenue. There are shops and resteraunts there and that is where the college students hang out!</p>

<p>The area around campus isnt too desirable - but the areas at the base of the Catalina mountains (the mountains north of Tucson) are very nice! If you take Campbell (The eastern border of campus) all the way north, you will hit an upscale mall called La Encantada at the base of the mountain. If you head east on any of those major roads by the mountain, there are plenty of shops, resteraunts, resorts, etc.</p>

<p>**If you want a hotel walking distance from campus, there is a nice Marriot located right next to University Avenue. There is also a Sheraton Four Points on Campbell and Speedway which is also walking distance from campus. However if you are looking for a nice hotel or resort with scenic views, etc...</p>

<p>Loews Ventana Canyon
Omni Tucson Resort
Comfort Suites at Sabino Canyon
Westward Look Resort
Hilton El Conquistador
The Lodge at Ventana Canyon</p>

<p>Thank you for your suggestions. I'll do some research into the areas you mentioned!</p>

<p>We stayed at the Marriott right across the street from the school and it was a great place to stay. There's the main drag a block away where the university students go and eat and hang out. Mostly pizza and pub food and some good coffee places. The university itself is very nice -- great student union.</p>

<p>Would try to see the Pima Air museum or Desert Museum. Pima's air plane collection is only smaller than the Air Force at Wright/Patt museum and you can take a bus ride through the bone yard too. SR-71, B-24, and lots of a one of a kind planes. I have a son and those are his favs when we hit Tucson.</p>

<p>The air museum sounds like a good idea. It brings back memories of "Aviation Challenge" (fighter pilot) summer camp when S was a fourth grader. I bet he'll love it!</p>

<p>He will love UA planes in the air, there are A-10s and F-16s all around. </p>

<p>But I am biased :)</p>

<p>We visited the Biosphere 2 about 30 minutes from Tucson in Oracle and it was amazing. It's hard to believe that people were enclosed in it for so long, and it was such a big failure. I think of some of the science experiments I've done that have failed, and considering the amount of money spent on the project makes me feel pretty good about the minimal cost of some of my failures!</p>

<p>The Desert Museum is an amazing place and gives you a flavor of the southwest. The ride there over Gates Pass is spectactular(best sunsets in the city!)</p>