National Society Of Collegiate Scholars? Scam, I'm assuming?

<p>Does anyone know anything about this? Freshman daughter got an invitation to join? I'm assuming it's like the high school one that is just a scam....if anyone knows differently, let me know....</p>

<p>Do they ask for $$ to buy something like a book?</p>

<p>No, they ask for $75 to join.... I went on the website....looks like a legit honor society but anything you have to pay to join sounds fishy......</p>

<p>National</a> Society of Collegiate Scholars</p>

<p>I would stay away from an organization that asks for $75 and proudly displays "Celebrating 15 years!" as well as a Geico lizard ad on its website.</p>

<p>Yup, that's what I thought...just wanted another opinion....thanks......</p>

<p>What do you get for $75?</p>

<p>Scholarship opportunities, job bank....no idea; I kind of bagged it after I read the $75 (and my D thought it was a scam from the getgo.....)</p>

<p>There have been other threads on this subject. DD was sent an offer. I looked into it for her and concluded that it was a legitimate organization with some scam-like trappings. Many famous people belong, and there are organized activities at the university level -- but I think it fair to conclude that the $75 may be something other than "money well spent."</p>

<p>The fact that they're targeting freshmen is a clue. They should at least wait until your junior year!</p>

<p>My D received that offer too. We viewed it as another empty credential like Who's Who.</p>

<p>Hi all,</p>

<p>I wanted to post to assure you all that the National Society of Collegiate Scholars is not a scam. The organization offers a ton of opportunities including professional development, scholarships, internships, and community service, as well as the honor that comes with being a member. Let me preface my testimony by saying that I am the founding chapter president for the Northern Arizona University and I currently serve as the president for the National Leadership Council, which is a council of 20 NSCS members from across the nation that act as a sounding board and local presence for the national office.</p>

<p>Sadly, many people are turned off by the membership fee. To clear things up, this is a lifetime membership fee and a large portion of it goes right back to the local university chapter for activities and events. The other portions go for nationwide programs and scholarships; it should be noted that NSCS officially offers more undergraduate scholarship dollars than any other honors organization. Opportunities range from leadership positions and community service, social and professional opportunities at the local university, all the way up to positions, scholarships, and networking at a national level, as with the position I hold. The organization works really hard to find quality partnerships that the members can benefit from, like Geico (who offers not only a discount on insurance to members, but also internships and scholarships).</p>

<p>Next, first and second year students are targeted because, when NSCS was created, there were no honors and service organizations for first and second year students. As Steve Loflin, the founder and director, puts it, that's a shame that there is such a gap in acknowledging the students that do well from the start. Students are invited based on being the top 20% of their class, with at least a 3.4 GPA. The registrars from every school submit the list of eligible students. It is not random and you and your student should be proud!</p>

<p>Unlike many other organizations, this is not just a line on your resume; it is an active and very expansive organization. (Unlike Who's Who) Through NSCS, I've been able to meet some stellar undergrads from all over the nation. However, rather than just carry on about how great this organization is, I encourage you to check out the website (nscs.org), find your university's chapter page, and contact the NSCS chapter at your campus. I think that you'll find that it is far from a scam.</p>

<p>If you have any specific questions, or concerns, feel free to post or contact me, I'd be happy to talk with you.</p>

<p>Hi
So you are telling me your got the information from my daughter's school. I doubt that. My daughter's guidance councillor has way too many mailings to be sending data out to this organization.</p>

<p>^^No, they got her name from the college registrar.</p>

<p>Not a scam but of questionable value. If your student's campus has an active chapter that is attractive to your kid, it might have some value to your child.</p>

<p>When students ask me about it, if $$ is an issue, I suggest they wait a couple of years and spend the money on Phi Beta Kappa, Phi Kappa Phi, and/or the honor society in their discipline.</p>

<p>I feel like this discussion has come up before. It might be worth considering if there is an active chapter on your campus, and little else to do (no service fraternity or other social/community orgs). For instance in music, there is Phi Mu Alpha, a service/honor fraternity (open to male & female.) </p>

<p>But most places kids would be too busy doing "real" activities in their field to participate in what feels like a slightly made-up one.</p>

<p>Yes, lol. Awesome.</p>

<p>"You are in the top 75% of your class! Wow! What a good job! You're awesome! Somebody as awesome as you should join an honor society! We're the best honor society ever! It's all free, after a $75 processing fee... paid once, with all these benefits ... wow! You'd be a dummy not to sign up! If you don't, we'll make sure to ask you again every two weeks for the rest of your natural freaking life!"</p>

<p>I will assassinate whoever runs that organization. Grrr.</p>

<p>LOL AuburnMath--you seem to have some experience with the organization's marketing practices.</p>

<p>There is nothing slightly made up about NSCS. Simply put, this organization offers a wide variety of opportunities to students who have achieved (top 20%) and gives them a jump start on professional development, networking, community service, and leadership development. It also should be noted that NSCS members are never solely NSCS members; they are leaders across campus in many different activities. In fact, I would say that there isn't one member that is not a member of another professional or discipline-related organization.</p>

<p>In economic times such as this, students need to find a way to put things on their resumes that are meaningful and that they can have a meaningful conversation about. NSCS, unlike most honors organizations, is one that will provide that. The $75, which is not a processing but a lifetime membership fee, partly goes back to the local chapter, and partly goes to the national office for programming, scholarships, and the annual convention, is well worth it.</p>

<p>Say what you will, but NSCS is a quality organization that offers a quality experience. Even if there is not an active chapter on your campus, your student can get that chapter going again.</p>

<p>I completely understand your skepticism (though AuburnMathTutor takes it a little far). But look further into the organization before passing judgment. I think you will find some things that change your mind.</p>

<p>thanks JSA.....I forwarded my daughter the chapter info from the NSCS website so she can figure out whether it makes sense at her school.......appreciate the info.....</p>

<p>My S was invited to join something similar called Phi Eta Sigma, a freshman honor society. It's $30 and the check was made out to the University and sent to the Registrar's office.</p>