Natural Science Courses?

<p>I will be going to UA in the fall as a transfer student, junior standing. At my previous university we could replace a natural science course with a mathematics course , and only had to take one natural science course + lab for the requirement (1 Nat. science and 2 math instead of 2 nat. science and 1 math). Obviously it is different at UA where you need 8 credit hours of natural science courses, and because they transferred my Physics Course + Lab (received A’s in both) as an elective, I still have to take 8 credits worth of natural science courses.</p>

<p>Anyway, my question is, which are the best natural science courses to take? My major is finance, so none really relate to my major and I have zero interest in retaking physics (I’ve had my fair share after the normal class and Calc III).</p>

<p>Is there a chance that the physics course was incorrectly transferred as an elective? Sometimes schools will forget that other schools have different ways of scheduling courses. </p>

<p>In answer to your question, a lot of students like taking geography. You also have the option of taking a course at your local college over the summer that you know will transfer as a natural science course. The transfer course equivalency tables <a href=“Transfer Credit Equivalency Home Page”>https://ssb.ua.edu/pls/PROD/rtstreq.P_Searchtype&lt;/a&gt; list many of such courses. </p>

<p>I’m not sure if it was incorrectly transferred or not. I also took a statistics and probability course at the previous university (MAT 135) and got an A, the description for ST 260 at UA is exactly everything I completed in my MAT 135 course, but it too transferred as an elective. I guess I’ll be retaking that, but at least it will be a breeze.</p>

<p>I looked into GEO courses on schedule builder but they’re ALL full.</p>

<p>UA typically opens up more seats in 100-level courses at each Bama Bound. </p>

<p>Occasionally, UA is hesitant to transfer credit for certain courses, especially if they were taught by a different department than than the UA department teaching the course. This occasionally comes up with ST 260-type courses taught by mathematics faculty or LGS 200-type courses taught by law or political science faculty. In that case, one needs to retake the course at UA. Who knows, you might get an A+ in the course you retake. </p>

<p>In the case of ST260, consider taking the online section to free up time in your schedule. Oftentimes on-campus students can’t register for online courses until July or with an override. Note that students at UA often change their schedules multiple times before the semester. You don’t have to keep the same schedule you registered for at Bama Bound.</p>

<p>That’s probability why then, my University did not have a statistics department, all statistics classes were encompassed in the mathematics department and given MAT course names.</p>

<p>Hopefully some GEO courses do open up at Bama Bound. Will they also open up any for ST 260? I believe there is only one ST 260 course open at the present.</p>

<p>If you take a science course such as GEO at community college, be aware that you also have to take the lab for it to count as a science credit at UA.</p>

<p>Courses open up throughout the summer as students change their schedules. Register for an acceptable schedule at Bama Bound and change it later if something you like better shows up. </p>

<p>I’d also suggest looking at course availability through the advanced search feature of the “look up classes” function on myBama rather than the schedule builder as it makes finding available courses much easier and also allows one to compare a course’s maximum enrollment to that of previous semesters to get a better idea of how many spaces will open up.</p>