Naviance Access

@odyssey888 , that is pretty standard… While you can ask, what will knowing if 3 kids or 13 went to MIT matter? Isn’t it enough to know that the BS has a strong enough program to prepare kids for acceptance there? Or that BU and NYU are popular destinations?

I looked at the school DS attended. They bold only only the schools 5 or more attended. They do have a list of where the most recent class was accepted, but really, but that is often so variable by class.

I guess what I am saying is that the convention the school you are considering uses is quite normal.

If you need this to do your due diligence, ask by all means, but you should probably be able to articulate what you want that those numbers don’t provide. You stand the best shot of getting a helpful answer this way.

3 Likes

The detail you are seeking just isn’t relevant, honestly.

Consider this exercise - look at a matriculation list on a school profile that is publicly available, like Choate. Now pick a college that you consider to be in the lower third of your personal rank list. Would you be happy for your child if they went to that college after four years of BS. Would you be content with having spent over $250k and lived separate from your child for 4 years?

If the answer is no, then you’re considering BS for the wrong reason. And BS will likely be a complete grind for you, resulting in pressure and constant expectations being placed on a kid who is likely to not go to a tippy-top school. Without a hook, most kids (including BS kids) will not go to those schools.

BS changes the person, not the college matriculation outcome.

7 Likes

BTW - if the issue is that parents would like to know about matriculation to a particular school, like a legacy school, the BS will likely share that. You could contact the AO for that information.

1 Like

This is really well said and I could not agree more. I also think it is a huge disservice to your child to view formative HS years just as a path to top college, and doing so is going to do nothing but make them stressed over everything. And it does not end there. My older kid managed to make it to top college, and one of the roommates just had a meltdown over a B in class, stressing that it will prevent them from getting into top grad school. Once you jump on that hamster wheel it is incredibly hard to get off, and so you better have some massive therapy fund for the kid too. It is not a fun life to lead for sure.

2 Likes

I do remember there is one school that did that. I don’t remember which one off the top of my head, but it was super frustrating because I couldn’t complete the chart I was making. Iirc, it is one of the big name schools.

I appreciate how tough it is to compare schools right now, and you are looking for any insight you can. But I agree with the others that the level of detail you seek isn’t going to get you where you want to go, and worse, it could be deceptive. Even without remembering the school you are talking about, it is safe to assume a lot of their kids are going to T10 colleges, you just can’t tell if there is a favorite. Assume that there is, and it is H or Y or P. And then assume for the sake of comparison that all three are represented equally. Will it make a difference to your child’s decision? It shouldn’t.

Hard as it is, I would let it go. If I were to ask the AO anything, and I wouldn’t, it would be why they do the list that way, when no one else does. That might give you some insight into the philosophy of the school. If you do ask (and I am not trying to talk you into it), please DM me and let me know what they say. The geek in me wants to know.

3 Likes

Hi.
Just to close the loop, I emailed the AO and he immediately disclosed 4yrs recent matriculation data in detail.
Thanks everyone for all your advice!!

5 Likes