Need advice after rejected/waitlisted from almost every college

His resume backs up his interest in classical studies.

6 Likes

Yes
. But it is unusual and does not help in admissions.

My brother wanted to major in classics at Dartmouth a million years ago and our (Asian) dad threatened to withhold his tuition and I doubt this attitude has changed much if at all.

Also, his parents wouldn’t let him apply to BU. Does this sound like parents that’ll support majoring in classics other than on his college application?

2 Likes

But “being unusual” is a strong positive in my opinion!

Ah, the “Bermuda Triangle” of college advising: a high school counselor, a quack private advisor, and mis-informed and opinionated parents. Even if the HS advising is good, there’s not much they can do if these influences are all misaligned.

I’ve seen this dynamic before and I’ve watched it produce results like this. The focus on the schools with prestige branding leads to an assembly line approach to the application process and perfunctory treatment of the likely/safety options. The applications fail because there was not enough consideration given to who the applicant is, how to reflect that, and what schools would best resonate with their profile and interests.

I don’t see a strategy, in other words. Does every Ivy really appeal to you for any reason or purpose other than prestige? Were you ever encouraged to think deeply about what you want in a college setting or academic environment? Where was your voice in this process and how did it carry through in the materials you submitted? A student-centered approach connects the student to the school, and when that is done well through this process, the schools can picture you on their campuses.

A smart counselor might suggest schools that not only meet your criteria, but would also view you as an admissions priority. (For example, I have to think a male applicant looking to study Classics would have a leg up with Vassar; though that’s just an example, I am not nominating Vassar without knowing what you want.)

Now, at the risk of being another voice in your ear, I will offer a suggestion based on your interests in Classics and a career in academia. Have you researched St. John’s College? Take a look. You might even reach out to them to see if they have any rolling admissions or January start options available.

8 Likes

I believe they are on the list of colleges still accepting applications.

3 Likes

Good to know. I know they close once the class is full.

1 Like

I am so so sorry OP. My heart aches for you. Thinking outside the country (and if finances allow), have you considered American University in Paris? It is still accepting apps and many students transfer after a year to USC or GW. Might be nice to just get away for awhile.

1 Like

I’m sorry this happened to you, but thank you for sharing this with us and reaching out for help.

That NACAC list is full of good schools still taking applications. I’ll add Earlham College to the pile already mentioned – Earlham has a very strong academic reputation. However, they do not offer Classics as a major or minor, so if that is a must-have, there will be better options. If your interest is piqued, you might reach out to them to see if they could fashion a “Classicsesque” course plan for you.

2 Likes

U of Cincinnati is another often-overlooked school that punches way above its weight in Classics https://classics.uc.edu/ Admissions are rolling with a March 1 deadline for fall but mention of “space available” so I’m not clear whether they go past that deadline for programs that aren’t full. They definitely have spring admissions which would be a slam-dunk.

Others that would be safeties if reapplying in next year’s cycle:
Kalamazoo College https://classics.kzoo.edu/ (could be worth inquiring, or watching NACAC list for possible space after the May 1st response deadline)
SUNY Buffalo Department of Classics - University at Buffalo

Sorry you find yourself in this position; you’re obviously a fantastic candidate and I’m sure you’ll find a good place to land, even if it takes a gap year to get there. I hope you can get your school guidance counselor to go to bat for you with your waitlist schools and to investigate with your “reaches” whether there was any problem with your application that can be corrected if you end up reapplying next year.

5 Likes

Tufts, UNC, wake, NYU, Northeastern should be reach now considering their acceptance rates.

You also might want to check Marquette if they are still open.

1 Like

I thought about Cincy for OP due to their number of classics majors, but all divisions are full (including arts and sciences) per a page on their website. But if OP plans for another cycle, U. of Cincinnati should definitely be investigated.

5 Likes

@AirMetro I agree with @Metawampe You should absolutely look at St. John’s. It is the natural choice for serious classics study. It is a really unique place and they care a lot about fit, which is probably why they are still accepting applications. Here’s a good interview with their VP of Enrollment:

8 Likes

This topic was automatically closed 90 days after the last reply. New replies are no longer allowed.