Need advice on guiding injured student from OOS

<p>I’m posting this for a non-posting friend. Her freshman D took a bad fall last week and after a very busy HC week, went to the Health Center with headaches and naseau. A CT scan shows a brain contusion but no active bleeding. The student has been advised to stay home from class and not stimulate her brain. She has several tests this week and next. This young lady carries quite a load of academic and non-academic activities and is quite stressed about the lockdown and falling behind. However, her symptoms only increased yesterday. </p>

<p>I suggested the Student Services office to my friend (after seeing mention of it in another thread). My friend would appreciate any other suggestions. The student is in the Honors College (if that is helpful for suggestions). </p>

<p>Thank you for any help!</p>

<p>I think she should go to the Emergency unit at DCH Medical Center. the fact that she’s getting worse, is worrisome.</p>

<p>If she doesn’t have someone to take her and she has good insurance (for being OOS), then she needs to call 911 and go by ambulance.</p>

<p>School is now open…Yes, call the Honors College and tell them. Someone there may be able to take her to DCH. I would call Kiki, Allison or Susan.</p>

<p>I don’t believe they are thinking this is an emergency situation (although I will ask if she has been looked at again since having a bad day yesterday). My friend’s concerns are more related to not going to class and missing tests. She just wants to make sure they can support her and guide her from afar and doesn’t want to miss something that could help the situation.</p>

<p>If her symptoms have increased then that is potentially a more serious situation and she needs to be seen ASAP.</p>

<p>She has been to see the doc today. Any advice or encouragement for navigating a blip like this will be appreciated. Just some things the mom may not think of maybe.</p>

<p>Thank goodness she went to be seen. </p>

<p>Has she contacted her advisor, and the dean of her college for direction and assistance? I would suggest the mom getting permission from the student to do this for her. Really, the student needs to rest and not be bothered with this. And she need to be checked on frequently by her room mates/friends/family.</p>

<p>The RA should be notified of the issue as well.</p>

<p>vlines, good suggestions which I have passed on. </p>

<p>My friend contacted the assistant director of the Honors College and she reported that he could not have been nicer. He (or his delegate) is handling contacting the professors and even the leaders of her extracurricular organizations. Her daughter does have strict orders from the doctor for no classes, reading, studying, etc. She is on meds for the nausea and I’m not sure how long she’ll be recuperating. </p>

<p>Apparently, professors have the option of handling things at their discretion but they will be encouraged to be flexible and supportive. And based on what we’ve seen so far, it would be surprising if they are anything but helpful.</p>

<p>Very glad to hear. Let us know how she is doing. Make sure that the mom knows her dhtr needs to seek medical attention immediately if her status changes at all. </p>

<p>Sent from my DROID RAZR using CC</p>

<p>Glad things are starting to work out for your friend’s daughter. Another suggestion for her are ear plugs if she needs more quiet than a dorm provides. Recovering from a head injury can be frustrating because you can’t do much. </p>

<p>It is hard to be away from your child while they recover!</p>

<p>Last year my son had mono and had to miss class for two weeks. My husband and I went to T-town to get him and at that time I met with Dr. Lowell Davis, Assistant Dean of Students. (My son and I had met Dr. Davis on several previous occasions.) I provided Dr. Davis with a copy of my son’s doctor’s excuse and he sent an email to all of my son’s professors. He also suggested that I log in my son’s UA email and send a note to his professors and I did. Each of the professors wrote back and were very understanding and kind; they all worked with him upon his return.</p>

<p>Prayers for your friend’s daughter.</p>

<p>Glad she is finding the support she needs and direction from the college. Now let’s hope for quick recovery for her D!! </p>

<p>Sent from my DROID RAZR using CC</p>

<p>Prayers for a speedy recovery. Sounds like a bad concussion??</p>