Need Advice Regarding Traveling Abroad with UA Please

<p>My D is taking part in UA at Oxford program this summer.
There is a travel agency involved who has priced travel from Birmingham to Atlanta to London. I really would like my D to travel with the group, but it would be silly for her to fly to Birmingham. She could take a direct flight from Cleveland and meet the group in Atlanta.<br>
My concern is what if there is a delay in Cleveland and she can’t make it to Atlanta in time for the group flight to London? Do you think it would be a better idea to have her fly to Atlanta the day before and hopefully stay with a relative? </p>

<p>If you student traveled abroad with UA, did they travel with the group or on their own? Any advice?</p>

<p>I know students who have traveled for study abroad, some flew solo, some with a friend, others with the group. I think that when the group will be together at the destination, it is nice to start off from a common point. The initial travel experience forms a common groundwork. However, if the student is going to be abroad with one or two other students and they will not be residing together or taking the same classes, than it doesn’t really matter. Also, cost may be a factor. Is it cheaper to fly out of your local airport and do the departures match up closely enough to do that? Perhaps she can connect on only one of the group flights. I always allow extra time for connections when traveling. For instance if I am cruising, I always fly in the day prior to the cruise, no sense in missing the cruise for a flight delay. It is well worth the hotel cost to me. There are some really nice hotels right next to the Atlanta airport, you might consider a one night hotel stay for your daughter. She can order room service, watch a movie, and relax before her trip. Just a thought.</p>

<p>linny-fb message me if you have specific questions.
My daughter flew out of the midwest to Europe by herself. She met the other students at the flat. Address in hand before she left home airport. All of the flights were delayed or whatever. If they’re mature enough to study abroad, traveling solo will be a great learning tool.
She had an overnight flight. Landed early (8:15a). I liked that she was traveling in broad daylight and not at night.</p>

<p>Sent you a PM, our D flew out of the Northeast on her own to Oxford last summer, saved a lot vs. the travel agency, was able to get direct flights each way and had no issues.</p>

<p>Thinking that the flight from Atlanta to London is on Delta and booked through a travel agent on a group fare, you will likely only get 25% miles, whereas booking directly with the Delta will get you 100% miles. It’s something to keep in mind.</p>

<p>Personally, I’d have my family member fly form their home city to London. International travel to London is not that much different from domestic US travel with the exception of needing to go through immigration and customs. I personally prefer to pick my own flights and meet up with my group at the destination hotel, which has ended up happening even when my small group was meeting a larger group. </p>

<p>The short answer to what happens if your daughter doesn’t make the flight from Atlanta to London? The airline reroutes her through a different city, possibly two. The same would happen if the BHM-ATL flight was delayed, except that it’s much harder to rebook 10+ people on a flight than it is one person, which might cause additional delays in arriving to London/Birmingham.</p>