Need an honest opinion

<p>I really want to go to UA but I am out of state and I don’t have much money. EFC:0. I missed the cutoff for the scholarships by 20 SAT points and 1 ACT point so I can’t get any scholarships. Anyway, I did the estimated cost of attendance thingy and it said it would cost me $19,000 a year. Is it worth going into debt to come. All the instate colleges I was looking at weren’t much less than $19,000 a year. So what do yall think? Thank you so much!</p>

<p>what is your sat? your act?</p>

<p>no scholarships and out of state is more than 19k i think. </p>

<p>what state are you from?</p>

<p>1180 SAT and 26 ACT. I know the tuition is more than 19,000, that’s what my calulated out of pocket would be after grants and other scholarships. And I’m from Virginia.</p>

<p>If you’re going into debt either at home or OOS then you just need to decide how much debt you’re willing to go into and where you’d rather go to school.</p>

<p>No scholarships and OOS is around $36,000. So are you sure that you have grants and other scholarships to cover $17,000? And then do you know how are you going to pay the remaining $19,000? Do you realize that you can only take out a loan for $5,500 your freshman year? You can’t just go get a loan for $19,000. Alot of kids don’t realize this.</p>

<p>She can’t get a loan for 19K, but if her parents are willing then they can get a PLUS loan for up to the cost of attendance. They’d just need to have decent credit.</p>

<p>But that is a lot to borrow and if in-state schools are cheaper then it might behoove one to stay instate. The peripheral stuff like travel will be much cheaper and the difference could be in the thousands.</p>

<p>Yes I understand that she can get PLUS loans, it just worries me that PLUS loans can be very dangerous for people already with a 0 EFC. A family I know was financially sunk because of PLUS loans (the 8.0% interest rate, 4% loan fees, the interest that was “quietly” building up over the years, and then the payments just killed them). I just wish that everyone knew all of the ramifications of PLUS loans before easily signing on the line. :/</p>

<p>^^^Agreed^^^</p>

<p>Okay, thanks! So another question: when does Bama accept transfer students? And if I moved to Alabama over this summer and did online classes from a CC in my state would I be able to establish residency and qualify for instate tuition?</p>

<p>[Residency</a> for Tuition Purposes | The Office of the University Registrar - The University of Alabama](<a href=“http://registrar.ua.edu/policies/residency/residency-tuition/]Residency”>http://registrar.ua.edu/policies/residency/residency-tuition/)</p>