Need based financial aid at Alabama

<p>What percentage of need based financial aid does Alabama meet?</p>

<p>I believe the only need based aid at Bama is Federal Aid. Pell Grant and student loans. So % would depend on whether you are in state or oos.</p>

<p>Riverbirch…
Unless a school promises to meet 100% of need, those stated % are just averages and are NOT a promise to meet any one student’s need.</p>

<p>So, if you see a stat that says an average of 85% of need met, that means little to YOU. Because some students have little need and 100% of their need was met, while some have high need and a very low % of their need was met.</p>

<p>Also…when looking at public univ, be aware that a large number of their stats are based on INSTATE students whose costs are much lower and may qualify for state aid to help meet need.</p>

<p>I see that you’re from Mich. As you may know, UMich promises to meet 100% of demonstrated need for INSTATE students…they don’t give much to OOS students. Since most of their students are instate, and they’re meeting 100% of THEIR need, their “average need met” stats are meaningless for an OOS student - who isn’t going to have much of their need met at all.</p>

<p>I wish schools would get rid of that “average % of need met” stat because it’s meaningless. A school that is full of mostly affluent students is going to have a high % average because they can meet most of those students’ need with a student loan. The same school loaded with “low EFC students” might have a very low “avg % of need met.”</p>

<p>I don’t know what your EFC is, but keep in mind that if your child gets the Presidential scholarship (about $24k per year) that gets applied to your child’s “need”. When you add in a fed student loan (5500), your child will have an award of about $30k per year. If your EFC is around $10k, then your child’s need will be met.</p>

<p>UA has a Net Price Calculator on its website [Financial</a> Aid - The University of Alabama](<a href=“http://financialaid.ua.edu/net-price-calculator/]Financial”>Net Price Calculator – Financial Aid | The University of Alabama) which gives a good IDEA of what a given student will be offered in terms of financial aid and merit scholarships. As a disclaimer, the amounts listed are not necessarily what the given student will receive, but rather an estimate based on UA’s financial aid policies.</p>