Need guidance re: HBCUs

<p>D is an average student and b/c college admission is so competitive, I want to make sure that she has some definite safety choices other than large unis (and, with the economy tanking, admission to even our lesser state schools will be keen). Friends, only one of whom is a HBCU alum, have urged that she consider the HBCUs, but other than Howard, Hampton, Spelman and Bennett, I am completely unfamiliar w/ any of the school. </p>

<p>D will probably apply to Howard and Hampton, but she wants coed, so Spelman and Bennett are out (also, Bennett is very small). D would like to be in or near a city, but she definitely wants a traditional residental campus. Her other preferences: liberal student body, not too religious - - a number of her older friends have been grumbling about the strict rules (HBCUs tend to be stricter about alcohol/drugs and parietals).</p>

<p>Any recommendations? Any caveats? (Many of the schools get low marks on PR: dorms are like dungeons, long lines and red tape, etc. Also, I know that Fisk has been struggling financially; is that generally true of the lesser HBCUs?)</p>

<p>Thanks in advance.</p>

<p>my friends that go to hampton absolutely love it there!! everyone i know that goes there really loves the hampton atmosphere! their dorms have AC !</p>

<p>i however i applied to howard rd! i<code>ve heard mixed reviews some say that outside city isn</code>t all that great but a city is what it is and like a fellow new yorker theres pro<code>s and cons everywhere. what drove me to apply to howard is that i figured if i</code>d apply to any hbcu it would have to be one well-known and recognized, because not all hbcu`s are recognized when applying to graduate school and such. Also howard homecoming which is like the biggest HBCU social event ever is another PLUS! and my friends that go there do like it, so yea hope that helps</p>

<p>but going back to spelman...does your daughter know that morehouse is just across the street? spelman morehouse and clark atlanta share the same facilities, so she is going to pretty much feel like she attend a co-ed college/university until she decides to go to bed of course. my friend from spelman really enjoyed her experience! my only rebuttle is that its sooo far away in georgia and although i would like to experience that southern hospitality i don<code>t have family in the ATL area.
dorms don</code>t have ac</p>

<p>hope this helps :)</p>

<p>I would say look into Spelman more - it's truly a great school and everyone I know who went there absolutely loved the experience. And about the all-women's atmosphere, as the person above me mentioned Morehouse is literally right across the street, and Clark Atlanta is really close by as well - you're really only <em>in</em> the all-women's environment in classes.</p>

<p>As for Howard, I think it warrants very careful consideration and definitely a visit. I live in the area and occasionally go to church there, and the campus and facilities really aren't the greatest.</p>

<p>Spelman is the most conpetitive of the HBCUs and a stats match (maybe a low-match) for D. I'm really hoping that this thread will generate info that will allow me to distinguish among the other HBCUs, all of which would be definite safeties and where she would even be eligible for merit money. </p>

<p>kb, I hear you re: Howard's facilities - - but I figured thar across the board the facilities at the HBCUs might have more upkeep/maint issues that the other private schools on D's list. Am I mistaken?</p>

<p>I third giving Spelman more consideration. If she attends Spelman she can cross register her classes at both Morehouse and Clark-Atlanta. The campuses are literally sitting right next to each other so it is a VERY coed environment. </p>

<p>I'm currently deciding between Hampton, Howard, and Spelman myself. I'm leaning mostly towards Howard because I plan to be a PoliSci major. </p>

<p>Your daughter should also look into Tuskegee, FAMU, and Tennessee State if she doesn't mind a larger public school. </p>

<p>I seriously feel that Howard, Hampton, and Spelman are the top notch, along with Morehouse, so I think she should focus on those three.</p>

<p>You might consider Claflin University. It's a hidden gem. Also Xavier University of Louisiana. FAMU is getting back on track. My cousin's son will graduate from Alabama State University this spring. Central State (Ohio) and Wilberforce arein the middle of cornfields (literally)</p>

<p>We went to an HBCU fair at a local church. I clearly wasn't aware of the number of HBCUs. </p>

<p>One more caveat. My daughter discounted Spelman because it's not coed. However, at a majority of HBCUs, the female-male ratio will be considerable. Howard is running close to 70-30 female/male.</p>

<p>Good luck.</p>