Need help sorting out BSN options

<p>I'm trying to help my D figure out her college choices and options. She has been leaning towards nursing (and was fairly certain a few months ago) but now she is unsure again and she is considering premed and other career/major choices. </p>

<p>From what I've read, the "safest" BSN route is via a direct entry program, given the level of competition out there for so few spots. It also seems to provide the best preparation with the most clinical hours etc.</p>

<p>Given that DD is unsure about nursing, a 2+2, or a LAC with an articulation agreement for a BSN might make more sense (but will cost more.)</p>

<p>Any advice? If she starts out at a direct entry nursing program, can she switch out easily? My assumption is that you can't go the other way.</p>

<p>I also wonder about financial aid/ scholarship money for a BSN as a 2d degree??</p>

<p>At most colleges, it is easy to transfer from nursing into another major, but it is very hard to transfer from another major into nursing. </p>

<p>Everyone should also check out other health care fields that are offered. Too many people only consider pre-med or nursing, but there are many other choices. Unless a student is really really commited and motivated to become a doctor and is in the top 4% or so of students, they may be setting themselves up for a big disappointment with a pre-med college path. </p>

<p>I believe I heard that half the people who apply to med schools don’t get admitted into any of them. In addition, there are probably five times as many students who switch out of a pre-med program after they take classes like organic chemistry. </p>

<p>Most colleges save their best financial aid for incoming freshman, particularly for students who have SAT scores in the top 25% of their applicant pool. There typically is less aid for transfers into the college and for people getting a second degree. </p>

<p>There are exceptions - at the 50 or so richest colleges that are need-blind and meet 100% of need, but most of them don’t have nursing programs and/or admit only a small fraction of applicants.</p>