Need Help: Third Year Chinese Abroad

Would she be willing to do a Chinese immersion program in the summer through Middlebury? Would that satisfy her language requirement?

Yes we know. She will be going abroad. It’s required.

Just hoping someone on here has experience with Chinese 3.

Just like HS the farther you go up the fewer kids are taking.

1 Like

Could she do this?

Will see. It’s in summer so it frees up the school year. Thx for the idea.

During the year also has to include Poli Sci

Thx

Maybe think of countries/cities where Chinese is common - Singapore, London (LSE?), Scotland (a co-worker, who is half Chinese, went to U of Edinburgh and majored in linguistics and he said there were a lot of Chinese students)
If she’s doing an internship in DC , she may be able to take one class at a school in DC as an adjunct student.

1 Like

The student needs to be 100% sure that her college will accept this. It would mean Chinese 1 and 2 taken at her home college. The first semester of Chinese 3 at some school abroad, and the second semester of Chinese 3 at some third college.

How does the student even know that the curricula will even line up with three three schools? She needs to clear this for certain with her advisor.

It might be easier for her to take something from her senior year while studying abroad…and take Chinese 3 her senior year. She can keep up with her Chinese in many ways online…while she is abroad.

I think the curricula comment is very important and agree with the recommendation to take Chinese 3 senior year back at her regular college.

My daughter also studied Chinese in college and did a study abroad in Shanghai so not quite the same situation, but relevant to the discussion, there were students from many different US colleges in her program, and the first thing they did was give them a placement test to see where they fell. Students were placed according to that test, not what level they were in at their home school. My daughter had finished Chinese 2 at that point and had people in her class that had already had Chinese 3. Obviously all schools are not the same.

1 Like

My first thought is one of the universities in British Columbia. There is a very large Asian and Chinese population in British Columbia, particularly in Vancouver. A quick look and it appears that UBC, University of Victoria, and Simon Fraser University all have good Chinese programs. I am not sure what these would cost, but it is possible that U.Victoria and SFU might be a bit less expensive for an international student compared to UBC.

The web site for the UBC Asian Studies program refers to its Chinese program as “the largest, most comprehensive program for Chinese Studies in North America”. Having lived in the area at one point, I find this quite easy to believe.

2 Likes

Another option, if affordable, is for your D to do a summer abroad program and spend a junior year semester on campus to complete Chinese 3.

We are looking at that option too - she’ll have lots of questions for her advisor(s) including some delved from this thread.

There’s one she’d enjoy to Senegal - so we might have to go that way.

Definitely many things to ask of her advisor.

Thanks

3 Likes

Guessing that study abroad is a requirement for an International Studies/Poli Sci major.

Middlebury Summer program would likely work for Chinese thus making it easier to go on any poli-sci focused study abroad program.

Dickinson’s study abroad programs are extremely solid, too.

St Andrews is another possibility (direct enrollment as a semester visiting student might be possible?)

What about Singapore, BTW?

Wondering if this might solve the problem with a 2-in-one: political science AND Chinese – if it looks interesting, email them to see if they accept visiting students?

(downside: the city’s not very nice though the campus is in a nice area and it means living is inexpensive. Upside: it’s near Normandy, Mont St Michel, Rouen, Etretat of Lupin fame, and a couple hours away from Brussels, Britain, and Paris. Also, 2/3 students come from all over the world, especially Asia.)

2 Likes

Looks interesting. Thx

Passing it on !!