Need Help: Transportation from Austin to CS and Accommodation in Austin

<p>Howdy,</p>

<p>I am new international student and will be studying Petroleum Engineering (Master) at Texas A&M University. I have difficulty in finding a flight ticket from my home country and it turns out that my long flight will end in Austin and I will be arrive there very late in the night. </p>

<p>As I never been to Austin and I am quite concern with my safety I would like to rent a cheap motel/hotel near the Austin Airport so that I can continue my trip to College Station on the following day. </p>

<p>Therefore I would like to ask several things:
1. Do you guys have any suggestion for cheap and safe accommodation near Austin-Bergstorm airport
2. How do you recommend the transportation from Austin to College Station?
I hear that it is better to go to Houston first, and I also don't know whether I have
to go traveling by Bus, or another plane to Houston.</p>

<p>Thanks in advance,
Gig Em</p>

<p>Feldy</p>

<p>Going to Houston from Austin would be pointless as A&M is about the same distance from both. Just take a bus from Austin to Bryan TX which is where the bus stations at. I’m from the Bryan/ College Station area. I live about an hour from there now. College Station also has a small Airport you can take a commuter plane there from Austin, the airport is called Easterwood airport it is about a Half a mile from campus. the bus stop is about 3 miles from campus.</p>

<p>You can stay at the Austin Airport and wait for your flight that will take you from Austin Airport to College Station Airport saving money for a hotel, cab fare to and from hotel and a 5 hour bus ride from Austin to College Station.
Austin-Bergstrom Airport(AUS)
College Station Airport(CLL)
Continental Airlines has a one way tix from Austin to College Station by way of Houston for $208USD. Earliest flight is at 730am.</p>

<p>American Airlines has a flight from Austin to College Station by way of Dallas for $244USD.
Longer flight time.</p>

<p>Greyhound bus has a bus leaving Austin at 1225pm and arrives in Bryan around 530pm cost about $40.</p>

<p>The bus sounds the most practical.</p>

<p>I’d stay at a hotel close to the Austin Greyhound bus station(cheaper rates) rather than the airport.
Take a taxi from the airport to the hotel when you finish Customs, no matter what time it is.
Tell the hotel you will be arriving late when you make your reservation.
On the Greyhound website it has instructions for International customers to purchase tickets.</p>

<p>You mentioned that you were an international student. Where are you flying from? I am surprised you are flying into Austin. I think going through customs in Houston is so much easier than going through any other airport including Los Angelos. Could you not just fly into Houston and then take the small flight from Houston to College Station?</p>

<p>DO NOT fly into Austin, change the flight Immediately. There is no shuttle and easy way to get to CS from Austin. You will end up wasting more money flying into CS via Austin. Fly into Houston, most likely George Bush Intercotneination International Airport (airport code IAH), but can be William P. Hobby (airport code HOU) if you come from S-American that require change flight. From there you can catch a shuttle directly from either airport to CS. The price is very reasonable, about $40, Hobby is slight more and take slightly longer.<br>
Once you have the flight change confirm, go online immediately and book your shuttle. The shuttle will be quite full during Fall opening semesters. Note: Do not book your shuttle too close to your arrival. Since you are International, you have to go through immigration, custom and getting your lagguage. Allow at least 2 hours minimum. If you have more then 1 bag, shuttle might charge you slightly more. Also, ask shuttle to drop you off at your dorm directly. It only cost about $5 extra. Get $US dollar in the airport to pay the shuttle. Or if you have a credit card that work in US can do that too. If you have a US account checking account check that will do work too. if you pay cash, make sure you get a receipt, since too many passgers will be rather confusing during drop off.
[groundshuttle.com</a> |](<a href=“http://www.groundshuttle.com/]groundshuttle.com”>http://www.groundshuttle.com/)
Contact me if you need help, I was once a foreign student many MOOOOOs ago, so I understand your confusion and apprehension.
A Senior EE-OOS Mom. Welcome to TAMU and best wishes!</p>

<p>Sorry, the previous post has quite a bit of typo. I was in a hurry and wanted to get the message to you quickly so you can adjust the International flight.
Another option is End your destination in College Station, Easterwood Airport (Airport Code CLL). For International, even out of state, you will not be able to fly directly into CLL. You will need a connecting flight. The airport is very close to campus about 10-15 min, Taxi fare One Way is about $12.
If you fly using American Airline, Delta, United, etc that have International route, it may be economical to add the last leg on to CLL for a small additional fare. Especially American Airline, its hub city is DFW (Dallas Forth Worth) which is an International Airport about 3.4 Hours from CS. Note again, there is no shuttle from DFW to CS. Depend on the airline; you will end up in some major International airport hub cities either in Texas or other state. You will need to go through Immigration, get luggage and clear custom; then check back into the small connecting flight to CLL.</p>

<p>Howdy all,
Thanks a bunch for your suggestions, i am trying to digest all of the information and try to find the best way to go to CS from Austin.</p>

<p>Aniway, unfortunately I am also a sponsored student, my flight schedule was arranged by my sponsor commission and due to the high season my flight plan is a little bit weird and exhausting. I will be flying from Ind - Narita - San Fransisco - Denver and then Austin. Unfortunately they couldnt find a ticket to Houston or Dallas which I heard are having a direct flight to College Station trough it.</p>

<p>Thanks and Gig Em!</p>

<p>That sounds like a really exhausting, pretty horrible, flight schedule. When are you getting in to Austin, Kameramen? I mean, what date?</p>

<p>Kameramen, perhaps you could pass along to your sponsor commission, for future reference, that Austin is not an ideal airport for travel to College Station. As others have pointed out, Dallas-Fort Worth (DFW) has connecting flights to the small College Station airport (CLL), and you can catch fairly convenient ground transportation from Houston, but there are fewer (if any) choices from Austin-Bergstrom.</p>

<p>I’m just guessing that perhaps your sponsoring organization was looking at a map and thought Austin would be better because it’s closer to College Station than DFW. In reality, for future reference, DFW is better.</p>

<p>By the way, as ucla011 pointed out, you will have to go through customs and immigration, but that will all happen in San Francisco, I believe, since that’s your first point of landing in the USA. You should be through with all that stuff by the time you get to Texas.</p>

<p>Good luck to you! If you check back here before you begin your flight, let us know when you’re planning to arrive in Austin.</p>

<p>This may be too late to help but I’m wondering if you have made contact with the student group from your country. A lot of these groups really look out for each other in terms of assisting with pick up in Houston or Austin.</p>

<p>Go to the TAMU website, select International and then select Student Organizations. From there select Cultural/International and hopefully you will find a group that would apply to you. They list their contact information and email address. </p>

<p>Please keep us posted because we don’t want you to have worries about your safety!</p>

If anyone is still interested, I started a shuttle service between college station and austin. You can book online at streamride.com.