Need Help With Graduation CD

<p>Hey, parents! Help me out? I’ve decided to make a couple of CD’s for my son’s grad party and would love some input on music. Obviously, every third song will be ‘Sweet Home Alabama’ :wink: but I’ve got to mix it up a <em>little</em>. So - the venue is on the lake, the crowd will be mixed, and I would love to have some great, loud, up-beat, get your booty off to college music. OUR kind of music - my son is eclectic, but you just can’t party to scat! DS has NO sentimental ties to HS, so selections like ‘No Such Thing’ and ‘100 Years’ are better than ‘We May Never Pass This Way Again’. You guys always have the BEST ideas - DS doesn’t know I’m making specialized CD’s, so get crazy, we love to laugh!</p>

<p>I like the song by Steely Dan called “Deacon Blues”. It has a line that says" They call Alabama the Crimson Tide, they call me Deacon Blues". You will have to decide if it’s appropriate for your party.</p>

<p>There are a number of Southern Rock bands such as the Allman Brothers and Lynyrd Skynyrd. You can tell I am old. Ha! Ha!</p>

<p>Roll Tide!!</p>

<p>Beach Boys California Girls…but when you sing out loud, change to “Alabama” girls!</p>

<p>Sent from my DROID RAZR using CC</p>

<p>Wikipedia has a whole page of songs about Alabama and some about tuscaloosa too. </p>

<p>Sent from my DROID RAZR using CC</p>

<p>This is not so “up-beat”, but I love this song by Buddy Jewell. I know you’re from TN too, NRDMOM, so hope you like a little country. “Sweet Southern Comfort” :)</p>

<p>[Buddy</a> Jewell - Sweet Southern Comfort - YouTube](<a href=“Buddy Jewell - Sweet Southern Comfort - YouTube”>Buddy Jewell - Sweet Southern Comfort - YouTube)</p>

<p>Our regulars are “Dixieland Delight” (a regular at the Bama fooball games…the kids have stuff they shout between verses…), “Southern Voice”, Sweet Caroline (they play it during the 4th quarter of the Bama football games)…I agree Sweet Southern Comfort…anythign by Pretty Lights is popular at Bama.</p>

<p>Anything by Luke Bryan could fill that CD.</p>

<p>63 Boyz Give Em Hell (Bama Anthem)</p>

<p>They also have a Bama Anthem Part II 4th Quarter!</p>

<p>Its rap but fun!</p>

<p>Great ideas, everyone! Of COURSE "Deacon Blues’, - NMSFdad - did you <em>have</em> to make me sniffle? And throwing the rap anthem in the mix - the disc just keeps getting better. Our friends, UT fans all, are going to sense a theme here… I will need to wear my water wings as I anticipate being thrown in the lake ;-)</p>

<p>Keep them coming please - momreads, any one in particular? I am unfamiliar with Luke Bryan. vlines, it’s when I start singing ‘Alabama girls’ at the top of my lungs that I will most likely be tossed - probably by DS…</p>

<p>NRDMOM: My son introduced me to Luke Bryan with the song, Sorority Girl.</p>

<p>FYI…Luke Bryan’s wife was an ADPi :).</p>

<p>OK since it is at a lake how about Kid Rock All Summer Long (you know “singing Sweet Home Alabama all summer long” :)</p>

<p>Another one we like is the Black and Yellow Alabama remix
<a href=“- YouTube”>- YouTube;

<p>For a little country try Trace Adkins<br>
<a href=“Ala-Freakin-Bama By Trace Adkins - YouTube”>Ala-Freakin-Bama By Trace Adkins - YouTube;

<p>or Brad Paisley
<a href=“- YouTube”>- YouTube;

<p>School’s out for summer</p>

<p>In my area, students in grades K-8 get a week of square dancing lessons each year, so my first thought was the “Alabama left” command.</p>

<p>If it was his UA graduation, I would have to recommend “My Home’s in Alabama” by Alabama, which is arguably their most personal song and one that is sung by many southern artists when they play in Alabama, particularly Kenny Chesney and Alan Jackson. Kenny also sings “Out Last Night” which mentions Alabama girls and “Keg in the Closet,” which is not likely a good choice for this party.</p>

<p>Even more obviously, I would not recommend playing “Alabama” by Neil Young.</p>

<p>“Southern Voice” by Tim McGraw mentions both the Crimson Tide and Bear Bryant. Tim is a huge Tennessee fan, but to the best of my knowledge the song is doesn’t mention any SEC school besides Alabama.</p>

<p>You said that you wanted upbeat songs, but “My Way” by Frank Sinatra will stop people at the party from asking why he chose Alabama.</p>

<p>CrimsonMomNC - I most humbly apologize for inadvertently offending you at any time in any previous post. It is the only explanation I have for your ‘Black and Yellow Alabama remix’ that you would have me play at a boat-load of passionate UT fans - not only would they deflate my water wings, but I would be handed a large rock just before I ‘left’ the ship. Sigh - after two rum punches I will no doubt play it - I’m doomed.</p>

<p>SEA_tide - As far as my son is concerned, his home IS in Alabama - I plan to play it immediately after ‘Hit the Road, Jack’…</p>