Need help with list - 4.0/12 AP's/TO [1300 SAT]. Is CS even a realistic option?

If he didn’t like GW he likely won’t BU.

An NEU or Drexel might work. You have Miami - how about Cincinnati or too big ?

1 Like

Note that Northeastern, Drexel, and Cincinnati have very co-op-centered curricula (a co-op involves a summer + semester or quarter off school working at a paid co-op job; typically means 5 years to graduation when including about 2 co-ops, but only 4 years worth of tuition-paying school attendance during that time). This could be a significant plus or minus for some students.

2 Likes

Some schools that you may want to look into include:

• Bradley (IL): About 4100 undergrads with 49% males. Accredited in several engineering fields.

• Calvin (MI): About 3k undergrads at this institution that has a lot of alums going on for PhDs in various fields. It is a more conservative institution. It is ABET-accredited for general engineering, but seems to be a fairly popular major. 49% male, and between 61-81% submitted tests (depending on how many of the 20% ACT submitters also submitted the SAT). SAT range appears to be 1220-1370.

• Case Western (OH): About 6k undergrads with 52% males. ABET-accredited in many engineering fields. 42-63% submit tests. Your son would want to goTO here.

• Christopher Newport (VA): About 4400 undergrads with 48% males. ABET-accredited for electrical engineering & computer engineering. 40-47% submit tests, with the 75th percentile around 1290.

• Fairfield (CT): About 4800 undergrads with 42% males. ABET-accredited for biomedical engineering, CS, computer engineering, and mechanical engineering. 26-33% submit tests, 1240-1390 as the 25/75 range.

• Hope (MI): About 3300 undergrads with 39% males. ABET-accredited for general engineering. 48-50% submit tests, with 1090-1330 as the 25/75 range.

• Lafayette (PA ): About 2700 undergrads with 50% males. ABET-accredited for several fields. 39-53% submit tests, and he would want to go TO here.

• Lehigh (PA ): About 5500 undergrads with 54% males. ABET-accredited for several fields. 37-50% of students submit tests, and he would want to go TO here.

• Loyola Maryland: About 4k undergrads with 45% males. ABET-accredited for general engineering. 29-34% submit tests, with 1180-1360 as the 25/75 range.

• SUNY New Paltz: About 6100 undergrads with 35% males. ABET-accredited for computer engineering, electrical engineering, and mechanical engineering. 17-23% submit tests, with 1170-1340 as the 25/75 range.

• Trinity (CT): About 2200 undergrads with 49% males. ABET-accredited for general engineering. 14-19% of students submit tests, with 1300-1470 as the 25/75 range.

• Union (NY): About 2100 undergrads with 55% males. Accredited in biomedical, computer, electrical, and mechanical engineering.38-55% submit tests, with 1310-1490 as the 25/75 range.

• U. of St. Thomas (MN): About 5900 undergrads with 52% males. ABET-accredited in civil, computer, electrical, and mechanical engineering. 30-33% submit tests, with 1200-1390 as the 25/75 range.

3 Likes

it’s why I lopped them together.

thanks so much for this list. I will do some deep dives into some of these schools.

1 Like

U of Delaware is another that seems to fit the pattern. TO is an option there, and it’s only slightly bigger than MiamiOH (and 58% female).

Another major to consider (which UDel has) could be Cognitive Science, which has a computer science component (which a student can either emphasize or de-emphasize) but also draws from psychology, philosophy, neuroscience, linguistics, and sometimes design. SUNY Binghamton is another smaller flagship with a CogSci program, and TO admissions. LAC-wise, Vassar is particularly known for CogSci.

2 Likes

I don’t think Binghamton has a Cog Sci undergrad degree. It does have a PhD in Behavioral Neuroscience and a PhD in Cognitive Psychology, but I don’t see anything Cog Sci for undergrads.

1 Like

I had thought of University of St. Thomas too. Nice size, gorgeous campus in a very nice neighborhood of St. Paul. Open enrollment with Macalester, St. Kates, Hamline, Augsburg. Collaborative and supportive engineering department. Many other strong departments. Twin Cities are good for internships. Vibe is mainly clean cut and not very political. A conservative leaning student would fit in fine here. This would be a safety, and he would get big merit I bet. St. Thomas has been rising in the rankings and I know they want to recruit more students from out of the region.

2 Likes

Oh, huh, I guess you’re right! I thought I remembered that they had an undergrad program, sorry! Well, UDel definitely has it, anyway. And Vassar… and also Carleton which is already on OP’s list.

Check out University of San Diego. Shiley-Marcos School of Engineering is strong in CS and the school remains test blind. Best wishes!

1 Like

He’d probably get merit at Marist.
The private colleges you listed are good, too – the course rigor in his application would certainly be appreciated.
You probably want to avoid large universities where CS or data science or informatics is taught in large lectures, since he doesn’t seem to do well with high stakes or multiple choice testing. (He does well in his AP classes but doesn’t do as well on the AP exm, for instance -a smaller class typically means more frequent, more hands-on or developed evaluations, with participation a component.)

2 Likes

Yes, his AP classes are very rigorous, but he works hard, turns in homework on time, asks teachers’ questions, and rallies the other boys to get group projects turned in(!), all pretty good attributes. But clearly, something is falling apart on the ACT/SAT.

1 Like

The tests can be “learned” - has he prepped?

btw - 1300 is the 86th percentile - so it’s not a fail at all.

Only on the CC where the 75th percentile is a 1550.

1 Like

I wouldn’t say “fall apart”!
He’s clearly mastered quite a lot of skills and content.
However this may indicate way of learning that would allow him to show his best potential through smaller classes where his qualities will shine rather than paddling up the river with his hands in lecture halls with one-size fits 350, multiple choice/short answer tests.

2 Likes

Hi there exciting times. I don’t know much about the schools that you mentioned other than Villanova and Miami of Ohio. Just to give you a sampling of this year’s admission cycle. My daughter stats:
D23
ACT 34
GPA 4.0 UW/4.4 W - Her school weighs really low, so some of the schools recalculated a higher gpa, UF for example.
Lots of AP, dual enrollment, honors classes
School doesn’t rank
Applied as biochem/health sciences

She was waitlisted at Villanova. She didn’t pursue staying on the waitlist, but I’m not sure if she would have been taken off. Miami of Ohio gave her scholarship money, but not near as much as we thought they would. (Atleast initially, in late April they offered much more but it was too late.)

Admissions cycles have been cuckoo lately.

UF weights .5 for Honors and +1 for AP.

A 4 of a 4.4 might mean a 3.6 or so on a 4 point scale - so that could be why she was WL.

Few use an over 4 point scale for a baseline.

That would impact Miami too.

The other thing is, for a school like Nova, they consider interest - so you’d want to be active to ensure they know they are loved.

Let me clarify. She had a 4.0 unweighted, 4.4 weighted. With UF her GPA went up to like a 4.6.
I agree on Nova, but ultimately it didn’t matter. We heard they don’t give much in the way of scholarships and we could never have afforded it. With Miami of Ohio, when we visited, according to her stats, in the presentation they gave we expected they would give her close to 30K in scholarship. Initially they gave her 19K and then bumped it up to close to 30K. (My understanding is that the amounts have gone down this year.) I agree that it was probably due to lack of interest.

Oh - ok - so a 4.0 unweighted on a 4 scale and 34.

What major?

Did she demonstrate interest?

I’m personally not a believer in yield management but others on here think it’s a real thing and they’d say, Nova might have WL her thinking she was using them as a safetty vs. a higher pedigree school. Looks like they yielded at 32% per last CDS.

Miami should have provided - assuming OOS - a minimum of $15K (that’s their table for this year anyway). Did they not?

Well - hopefully she’s at the right place for her regardless.

Great anecdote for OP. Thanks for sharing.

I updated my post with a bit more info. I think for Nova she applied Biochem because she wasn’t sure she would get into nursing. With Miami of Ohio, she applied Nursing. She applied to 11 schools, I’m struggling to keep the details in tact.

As far as interest, with Miami of Ohio, not really because she was kinda meh about it. She did apply for the additional scholarship competition that that offered so that’s some sort of interest. With Villanova, I think she did show interest prior to applying, but after she got waitlisted, not at all. So there could have been a different outcome if she had.

One interesting thing Miami does which would benefit a student with a lower unweighted - is that they only look at the weighted GPA, as done by your high school. So our high school which does a weighted out of 6, most students have over a 4.0 for weighted. So a huge benefit. There was also grumbling last year that Miami had cut merit (this was class of 2022) and it seemed that the dozens of kids that we usually sent went down considerably. I wondered what they did for 2023, but I know my nephew got a great award without any AP classes and no scores submitted.