Need help with senior year classes please!

Hi, senior interested in Business (also Data Science & Public Policy).
AP’s taken so far: World, US History, English Lang/Lit, Calc AB, Spanish Lang.

Currently, for senior year - Adv English (post AP course), AP: Calc BC, Statistics, Macroeconomics, and need to fill out 2 more slots.

1st slot - either AP Comp Scie A or AP US Gov

2nd slot either Entrepreneurial Studies (create a product) or AP Art History.

Thanks a lot!

My daughter did the entrepreneurship center. Got into top schools.

If you create a business as she did it’s a great talking point.

Take what you can excel at and what you’d enjoy.

What level of school are you targeting ?

1 Like

I would take the Comp Sci class just because I think that coding is a good skill to have. The other doesn’t matter.

First slot should be whatever is more interesting to you, second slot I would recommend Entrepreneurial Studies because it is more in line with your major (and with that schedule you really don’t need any more APs), unless you are very interested in Art History.

1 Like

Definitely Top 20’s!

Do you think the classes I have could be applicable for a Data Science or Public Policy major?

Computer Sci AP and Entrepreneurial Studies (you do not need another AP on top of all of this).

This is all a good base for your interests.

Look at the colleges you are interested in and what they may award credits for or give waivers to the next level of classes. Example - Some may take US Gov, but not the microeconomics.

Good luck!

1 Like

Thx a lot! Do you think taking 4 vs 5 ap’s makes a difference to AO’s?

No.

4 Likes

I agree with @skieurope , the AOs will look at your entire application. 4 APs would be fine in any year. I have had AOs from MIT, Brown, and Dartmouth all say they do not need to see students overwhelmed. They start to question the genuine commitment to the ECs listed, etc…,

I know that there are students packing as many as possible, but it is not needed. They want to know you can do college level work and that you are academically curious. They want to know how you will contribute to a positive school culture on their campus.

1 Like

What are your HS graduation requirements for a diploma? That should help to narrow your choice.
In my children’s high school, they required 1 year of bio and the “almost” valedictorian missed that small detail. He was so busily focused on his college targets that he/his parents pushed the counseling staff to front load all of the CS and engineering coursework and he (tiger Mom) neglected the bio course, so he didn’t graduate until late summer. The counseling staff had warned him, and Mom, that he needed to get biology done at the high school for the graduation requirements.

His top schools went by the wayside because he didn’t have the HS diploma.

I got the juicy details because the mother came up to me, during senior activities week, knowing that I was a team mother for one of the teams, that her son played on with my son. She demanded to know if my son was graduating. I said “of course he’s graduating”. She assumed that since her son and my son were taking similar courses, that my son neglected to take the bio course, as well, and shouldn’t be graduating.

So she told me “but your son didn’t take bio!” “How is he allowed to get his diploma without bio???” I asked her, “How would you know my son’s schedule? I didn’t even know his full schedule until recently!“ Our son took AP bio in sophomore year.

When I told her that our son follow the recommended coursework from the counselors, her mouth just dropped. She asked me how he was able to take so many of the courses that her son had taken. I told her that he took a couple courses in the summer here and there. She went away saying it just wasn’t fair that the counselors hadn’t told them that he couldn’t graduate without bio. I know for a fact those counselors were extremely diligent with all of those well-known tiger and helicopter parents. I was on staff for a couple of years.

Long story short make sure you can graduate with a HS diploma.

3 Likes
  • 4 credits of English, Mathematics & Religion; 3 credits of History; 3 credits of Science; 3 credits of a language; 1.75 credits of Fine and Performing Arts

I’ve fulfilled my requirements for all of these but need to select an AP from the 1st slot and select a class for the Arts requirement.

I have no idea about your high school’s graduation requirements. That’s something you need to confirm with your high school registrar in order to get a diploma.

In California, if a student plans on applying a UC or a CSU, every student is required to fulfill the “F” requirement “Visual/performing Arts” for a full year with regard to admission consideration.

1 Like