Need Knowledge

<p>Hello, I'm currently an 8th grader in Florida. I've been wondering, and the thoughts were running across my head today. I know that I've gotten a three on the Reading FCAT and a five on the Math FCAT. I'm currently in Geometry Honors, and I've already taken Algebra 1 Honors and got the highest grade in the end of the course exam for my school. I've had 99's all semester long, and I've been wondering. Would I be allowed to join the Pre-IB Program, even through I have a three on the Reading FCAT? I know that I passed the math portion, but I'm not too stubby on the reading.</p>

<p>Oh my… I haven’t seen the word FCAT in so long…</p>

<p>Yes, you still can join Pre-IB, provided that the selection is like most schools. I went to a public school, so it was entirely a lottery system so long as you had taken at least a year of foreign language and had good grades. To get into private school programs, it might be different. However I don’t think they’d put too much stress on FCAT since I can’t actually remember if private schools have to take the state exams. </p>

<p>Keep in mind that public schools won’t have the time or energy to look too closely into your accomplishments. I took MEGSSS (which it sounds like you did, since you’re in Geometry) and honors science and honors language arts, had good grades, two years of French, etc etc. But it was entirely lottery based, and I got put on the wait list. Fortunately I got off of it once people turned it down, but nothing was for certain.</p>

<p>Also, study reading. FCAT might not be too big a deal so long as you pass, but it’s a sign that your PSAT and SAT scores in reading will be low. Study up before 11th grade.</p>