Need sorority reccomendations! :)

<p>Hi y’all! I’m going to Bama next year and plan to rush, but unfortunately my mom and all of the other ladies I’ve talked to so far weren’t in sororities. I’m starting to get a little worried about getting rec’s so I thought I’d ask for a hand from any moms out there who’d like to lend one! :slight_smile: I’m really unfamilliar with the whole reccomendation process, so what kind of information do I need to provide y’all with? Do I need to send the rec’s in myself? Here’s a list of the sororities at Bama in case you’re not sure if you’ve got a chapter here:</p>

<p>Alpha Chi Omega
Alpha Delta Pi
Alpha Delta Chi
Alpha Gamma Delta
Alpha Kappa Alpha
Alpha Omicron Pi
Alpha Phi
Chi Omega
Delta Delta Delta
Delta Sigma Theta
Delta Xi Phi
Delta Zeta
Gamma Phi Beta
Kappa Alpha Theta
Kappa Delta
Kappa Kappa Gamma
Phi Mu
Pi Beta Phi
Sigma Delta Tau
Sigma Gamma Rho
Sigma Lambda Gamma
Zeta Phi Beta
Zeta Tau Alpha</p>

<p>Any help at all would be appreciated, whether it’s a rec or advice on rush or advice on anything else! </p>

<p>Thanks in advance :slight_smile:
Christina</p>

<p>Christina, You are right to start this process now. Recs are a must for recruitment at Alabama. I know that there are several moms who post who have daughters that are currently in sororities at UA or who are considering going through recruitment.<br>
I would suggest you attend Panhellenic Preview on March 26th. It’s a full day packed with really great information and the recruitment process. You will get to view the “Brag” tables that each of the sororities put up as well as spend a VERY short time visiting each house. The registration form is on the Panhellenic website. That being said I know it’s hard to find recs. You can contact the Alumni organizations in your area for each sorority and ask for recs. Ask at school…you will be amazed how many teachers have an affiliation.</p>

<p>I would add that sorority recs are done by alumni and they should have a personal relationship with the PNM. I suggest you let everyone in your community know you are planning to rush. Once you find an alumni to write a rec for you they will usually sit down and do a quick interview, to discover your strengths, and then they send the paperwork off to the chapter at your school. You do not send anything. Let everyone you know you intend to rush. I agree with ahpimommy you should let teachers at school know. They might have an affiliation or know those who do. Good Luck!!</p>

<p>Christina, My daughter rushed last year, and I have been writing recs for girls for years. Here is what you need after you find and alumna from each sorority. I recommend putting a big envelope together for each alumna writing a rec for you:

1. resume-can be on cute paper, but no perfume or glitter please
  2. HS transcript-can be a copy
  3. head shot photo-wallet size is OK
  4. information sheet with address, phone number, parents name, parents colleges and greek affiliation if any
  5. nice letter explaining that you are attending Alabama, and are looking forward to meeting the girls at their sorority
  6. stamped,addressed envelope to the rush chairman of that sorority at Alabama. You can find these on the UA Panhellenic web sight. Don’t give your rec writers a reason not to get that rec done ASAP by not having an address or stamp. Besides, it’s just nice for you to take on that expense and time.
  7. follow up with a nice Thank you note. You may want to send this within a couple of weeks of asking, in case the writer has forgotten.</p>

<p>You can find alumna at church, teachers, your friends mom’s. Believe me they are out there. Try facebook, or your family members’ facebook. We found several that way. And once you find one lady, ask her if she knows others. We live in a state that doesn’t even have 3-4 of UA’s sororities at any of our schools and we able to find recs for all but 1. I recommend getting 2 per house if that is possible.
Good Luck, if you have other questions, just post’em.
Roll Tide</p>

<p>I forgot to add that the houses are already looking at recs, so they can be sent at any time. Also Delta Gamma will be rushing after formal rush and are taking recs as well. </p>

<p>Several of the sororities that Christina listed above are multi-cultural and Divine 9 (African American). They have a totally separate rush time period and process. Which are you interested in Christina?</p>

<p>I agree with catfan about putting together a big envelope. My daughter got manila envelopes with clasps and put all of the material the alum would need to write the rec (cover letter introducing herself, resume, pics, addressed stamped envelope, if we were able we downloaded and printed off the rec form for that particular sorority, although many website require a password, as well as a personal thank you note to the person writing the rec). These were all labeled with the person they went to as well as the sorority they were affiliated with. We also asked the person writing the rec is they would write a personal letter to be included with the rec form. I know that when I was Recruitment chair for my house that getting something that was a little more personal and gave some insight into the young woman going through recruitment was nice. Everyone we asked was more than willing to do this.
We also compiled a master list of who wrote what rec and we asked them to let us know when they mailed it.
I know it seems like it’s hard to find people but once you start asking you will be surprised how many greek women are out there. Some connection to you no matter how distant (a friend of a friend) is better than no connection at all. Do not count on the sororities at Alabama to find recs for you (even if someone tells you they will) because it does fall on you.
I echo catfan, ask as many questions as you want…we are more than happy to answer.
Roll Tide!</p>

<p>Ahpimommy is right about keeping that master list. That’s why it’s great you are starting now. This process was much more time consuming than completing the entrance application to the University!! Most of the women took time to share a few stories of their college sorority experience to my DD. So it’s nice for them also.</p>

<p>Oops, I should mention I’m not interested in the multi-cultural or African American sororities. But thank y’all SO MUCH for the replies, they’ve been beyond helpful! I’ll keep asking around!</p>

<p>recommendations. : )</p>

<p>Haha, yikes. That’s embarassing.</p>

<p>You’re first choice in finding Recs ought to be women who know you: teachers, parents of your friends, church members, etc. However if anyone is still struggling, here’s another option. This link will take you to the NPC’s Alumnae Panhellenic Association Directory. See if there is one close by to where you live. Even if there is not one in your city, you may find one in your area/state.</p>

<p>[National</a> Panhellenic Conference Alumnae Panhellenic Association Directory](<a href=“http://www.npcwomen.org/alumnae-panhellenics/directory.aspx]National”>http://www.npcwomen.org/alumnae-panhellenics/directory.aspx)</p>