Need the community guidance we need help choosing between full ride at Vanderbilt for Engineering vs zero money for MIT engineering

Lake, hands down.

3 Likes

I agree wholeheartedly, but all we have beyond that is anecdote and conjecture.

There is a misconception though that if a student gets into School X (insert school name here) that it will be a guaranteed golden ticket. There are plenty of pedestrian engineers (sticking with engineering since that is what the OPs student is pursuing) who went to the biggest name schools. That’s not my opinion, but that of a Caltech prof that I know who ran one of NASA’s most famous programs. He told me straight up that the undergraduate institution does not matter, and that some of his worst engineers were from his own institution.

It’s the person who makes their way. I suspect the OPs student will thrive no matter where they land.

3 Likes

Perhaps - but being a Fortune 500 CEO might not be everyone’s desired career outcome.

Would Richard Feynman be Richard Feynman if he went somewhere else for undergrad instead of MIT?

We will never know.

But he spoke fondly of his time there.

2 Likes

Absolutely.

It is not the places that grace men, but men the places.

As true now as 2000 years ago when it was first written.

And yet
 Yet there are two sides to every coin. Some places are just graced by more people.

If things were simple, there wouldn’t be this web site.

1 Like

He would have gone to Columbia if it hadn’t been practicing discriminative admissions against Jewish students at the time.

4 Likes

Any person who thinks there is something deterministic about child rearing (do X, push a button, out comes Y) has clearly never been a parent.

But that’s ok. We all get it- you buy your ticket, you take your chances. Maybe kid goes to college A determined to go to med school, and takes a class on ethnomusicology as part of a required humanities distribution course and it changes her life. Maybe kid goes to college B and majors in Beer Pong and frat parties- which would have been the case regardless of which college the kid attends.

Nobody knows. That doesn’t mean there isn’t value in hearing other people’s perspectives, as long as we don’t worship at the altar of “higher salary” as the be-all and end all of outcomes. A- because the data is wildly inaccurate. B- because there are so many “it depends” (is it better to graduate and get a job at Google making 125K plus a 25K bonus, or go to work at your professor’s startup for 50K and a million dollars worth of options? I refer to the lake house example above). And C- because the world kids will graduate into is not going to be what we old fogies think it will be.

One of my kids was an early employee at a company which provides a service which didn’t exist, using a technology that couldn’t even be imagined, when this kid started college. Imagine our shock when the company went public
 we could barely describe what the company did to family members who said “Hey, heard about the IPO”.

2 Likes

IKR.

And who knows what would become of him there :wink:

But that’s just it
we pretend like we do.

And medical residencies, fellowships, etc are not randomly assigned. With any degree, not all will have the opportunity for the top (by pay, prestige, reputation, stepping stone potential) positions. But presumably they will be better off than not having the degree. The bottom half kids in engineering will still have more opportunities than a high school grad.

1 Like

Agree 100%!

Why would you be relieved he didn’t get the GT one?

Because our heart wasn’t in it.

The day we learned he didn’t get it felt like he got into MIT for the 2nd time.

I know it may not sound rational. :man_shrugging:

2 Likes

Sounds like you wanted MIT from the get go and were willing to pay. Not sure what the OP family wanted and the Vanderbilt option sounds great. Many very capable kids would love Vanderbilt. It is a better fit than MIT for many. My older kid , with all the right numbers, had no interest in schools like MIT or Caltech or CMU( his dad’s alma mater). Just not his cup of tea. Know your kid, pay attention to your finances, and hope for the best with any college decision. There are plenty of kids that did not go to the most prestigious schools they could have gone to, but are doing quite well. And some who went to the most prestigious, and are not doing that well. You just never know.

7 Likes

People make their own decisions based on their own situations. What may not seem rational to an outsider may be very rational to the one who has to make (and live with–and that is a huge factor because in so many of these types of discussions on this site, there are drive by opinions strongly in one direction or another from people who do not actually live with the choice) the decision.

But if your heart wasn’t in it, why would the GT offer be impossible to turn down?

1 Like

Your daughter might want to consider attempting schedule appointments with a couple professors in Vanderbilt’s Computer Science and/or Electrical and Computer Science Engineering departments to discuss her choice and the opportunities the faculty offer to undergrads. It would take her under 15 minutes to identify two relatively young female professors in these departments who did their undergraduate work at MIT (Catie Chang and Maithilee Kunda).

If your daughter is going to choose Vanderbilt, she may be able to make the Vanderbilt experience even better by asking these professors now how to maximize her experience. When the professors say - “you should do research with professors,” she needs to be ready to respond with “would you let me work in your lab?”

10 Likes

The OP hasn’t made an appearance in a long time! I am curious what their final decision was? Do we know?

I must not be the brightest bulb in the ceiling. I picked Vanderbilt without hesitation very early on in this thread, and, after 156 posts, the debate discussion still rages.

2 Likes

Its not uncommon for the OP who raises the question to be gone from the discussion yet it still continues on. Sometimes for months. And references are made to the OP long after he/she has left the building as it were.

Guaranteed golden ticket? There is no such thing, and it’s a straw man to presuppose that as the counterargument. But one only has to look at the schools attended by current Senators, McKinsey consultants, Nobel laureates, Goldman Sachs partners, Supreme Court Justices, etc. to know that an elite pedigree gives you the best shot at the pinnacle of professional success, if that’s what you want from life (whether that’s a good aspiration is another topic, entirely).

More importantly, most of the people we are discussing are very type A — that’s the drive that got them to where they are. And that personality typically wants to be surrounded by the best and compete against the best. That’s why MIT has the yield it has (87%)
 and Vanderbilt has the yield it has (40%). Parents can say whatever they want about considering if one will be in the bottom half of the class and how both schools are equally super but it’s not a realistic appraisal of the mindset of the kids we are talking about.

I’ve done alumni interviews for Harvard for 21 years and can’t recall anyone accepted going anywhere but a T10. Few accepted to MIT think “maybe it would be better to go to a school that isn’t as challenging, without so many awesome students”. That may be rational, that may even be a wise way to approach it, but most super high achieving kids aren’t wired that way.

1 Like

My DD’s Foundation Fellowship cohort at UGA had several, including my DD, who turned down Harvard. Every cohort above her had a few as well. In fact, of the 20-25 in each class, close to 100% turned down at least 1 T10.

5 Likes

Many kids and families just don’t even get in the game and do quite well. If you’re going to apply to the highest ranked, most prestigious schools to begin with, it doesn’t seem surprising to go in that direction if accepted. MIT and Vanderbilt are both great schools and that is what is surprising to me, that there is not a clear choice based on fit and finances. If a family is chasing merit to begin with, like at Vanderbilt, I would guess there is at least some financial reason to do so, but I must be missing something.

And as @itsgettingreal21 says, many high achieving kids are at multiple colleges. They are not all concentrated at just a handful of the most prestigious ones.

1 Like