Nervous business major

<p>Hi, I have been accepted to Virginia Tech for Management and Oxford College of Emory University. I think the only reason I got accepted to Oxford College of Emory was because my bro went to Emory college with good stats.</p>

<p>My main concern is doing well in college, and I’m afraid if I go to VT University I might end up getting my butt kicked there. The reason is my weighted GPA at high school is a 3.52 and my SATs were only 560Math, 500CR, and 620Writing. I know its pretty crappy. And that is my reason that I think I won’t do well at Virginia tech. I want to major in business by the way. I mean I have taken AP History i/II, AP French and Honors chem and gotten “B’s” in all those classes. Then I’ve also taken AP Bio, Honors Physics, and Honors Geometry and gotten “C’s”. It was especially hard with wrestling. And I tend to do bad on my midterms and finals. In other words, I don’t think I’m cut out for Emory or VT.</p>

<li><p>What would you recommend for a guy like me wanting to do business?</p></li>
<li><p>What can I do to prepare for Virginia Tech - summer programs or books?</p></li>
<li><p>How hard is Virginia Tech…how is it, the experience, the people, the exams?</p></li>
</ol>

<p>I would greatly appreciate it if someone answered these questions with some feedback or advice. I just don’t feel convinced that I will do well at college and I need some advice or something that will help me.</p>

<p>Well, I'm sure they wouldn't accept you if you weren't qualified for the school.</p>

<p>I would just try to be more optimistic and confident.</p>

<p>wow...dude you should go to VT youre lucky you got in no offense</p>

<p>man **** enge...</p>

<p>w/e-- my impression is that it's not that hard to get in here since i'm part of the "record-breaking" incoming frosh class... :rolls eyes: and there are still a lot of dumb people coming through. but a lot of really smart wiz people too. it's great to have that mix to keep things on the chill side.</p>

<p>and intro business classes are easy as balls... as for the later stuff i can't really comment since i wouldn't know.</p>

<p>come here if u can overcome the lack of a city life. (i do so by recognizing that the beauties at this school do so with ease :)</p>

<p>and the thing to do for preparation... know that it's a big school (really) and that it's easy to have a great social life but it's also really easy to have a poor reclusive one too. and maybe take some summer courses to get intro stuff out of the way but other than that just relax and be ready for a new experience.. nothing really to prepare yourself unless you experience it.</p>

<p>overall atmosphere at tech: very chill, relaxed.</p>

<p>Dude you can do it if you try...but its definitely going to be tough. The only reason I responded the way I did was because I had a buddy my freshman year at VT that was in University Studies that had a 3.4GPA in high school and a 1060 SAT and he failed out of VT. He honestly tried really hard and I even tutored him in some of the classes that I was familiar with. Ive never seen anyone take the stresses of college the way he did--its hard. </p>

<p>Im curious what Laughter95 is majoring in because I took the intro business classes for my Business minor and they definitely arent easy--and Im majoring in Engineering. ACIS is very tedious and requires a lot of time and dedication. It is definitely not "easy as balls."</p>

<p>However, Im sure that there were other students with the same stats as him that had successful careers at Virginia Tech and landed great jobs after graduation. Honestly the majority of students will have higher stats than you--but that doesnt really matter. If youre willing to put forth the effort...Im sure you will be very successful. Go Tech!</p>

<p>I posted this on a new thread, but it pertains to this one as well... is the Calculus class for freshmen really an online course, not a class? I believe I was told that by an advisor on the phone at VT. How do they determine what math class to put a freshman in? I noticed they do offer Pre-Calculus. What kind of placement test is used and what do they do if they don't think you are ready for Calculus I?</p>