Nervous for vt chances

<p>Hey Everyone, I'm a junior in high school who lives in NOVA and wants to go to Tech Engineering. I slacked off a lot last year and now my weighted GPA is like a 3.73, which I know is terrible, but I know if I work hard I can do better.
This year I am taking AP Calc BC, AP Chem, AP CS, and AP USH, Honors English, Physics, (there's no honors), and Band.
My SAT score at the moment is a 2050, (1440 Math/CR) but that was my sophomore year and I know I'll do much better this year. I'm expecting at least a 2250 the next time I take it.
My EC's are, and I'm gonna include my senior year as well:</p>

<p>4 Years of Band/Jazz Band
3 Years of Marching Band with 1 Year of a Leadership position
Band Historian for 1 Year
Probably gonna be a Band Officer next year too, but who knows
4 years of It's Academic/Quiz Bowl ( Captain for three years)
4 years of Young Democrats (President for 2 Years)</p>

<p>Can someone chance me on my chances of getting in. Would it help me if I applied early decision? What should I bring my GPA and SAT up to, so I can get into the Virginia Tech College of Engineering.</p>

<p>I forgot to mention that I’m also going to be doing Junior and Senior Year:</p>

<p>National Honor Society
Science National Honor Society
Music National Honor Society</p>

<p>Also, I wanted to stress the fact that I’m taking the hardest classes possible.
I’m taking this many AP + all honors possible
Sophomore Year: 1 AP(most possible)
Junior Year: 4 AP
Senior Year: planning on taking 4/5 APs</p>

<p>Your stats are fine for everything except your gpa. Since Tech’s engineering is the hardest to get into (most applicants) you going to want to raise that gpa up. Right now its hard to say, you in the middle. 3.73 weighted GPA is not that great.</p>

<p>Thank you very much for the response. I was wondering what I should bring it up to. I think if I work hard I can bring it up to a 4.0 atleast. Would that be good. And would they not accept me because I slacked off in the first place, or would they be glad that I worked harder my junior year. Also, will applying Early Decision help me more than Early Action or Regular Admission.</p>

<p>ANYONE… please…</p>

<p>I slacked off freshman year, i mean really bad. But i did AWESOME my sophmore, junior and senior year. Colleges do like to see improvement, so make sure you write that you did not have your priorities right the year you slacked off. Applying Early Decision would help you, but i would personally wait till Regular so you can get 1st semester of Senior Year in your GPA, since you have a low GPA. But your call.</p>

<p>Thanks man. You’ve been a great help to me. Do you have any other good Engineering programs u think I can get into if I bring my gpa up to like a 3.9-4.0. I was thinking Purdue and Rutgers</p>

<p>If you bring your GPA up to a 3.9 you’ve got a great shot at VT, so hang in there.</p>

<p>Even for Engineering</p>

<p>Purdue is out of the option, i am sorry. Rutgers is pretty easy. You should try University of Illionois Ubana-Champaign. GREAT School, hard to get into engineering but they accept alot of people.</p>

<p>Wait…really. I’ve heard Purdue is really easy to get into. This year, I know two kids with a 3.7 and a 3.8 who got into Purdue Engineering. And I’ve heard UIUC, I’ve heard has an amazing cs program, but IDK if I can into it. What about University of Maryland CP. It’s an hour and a half away from my house, and they have a top 10 cs program. This is all assuming I bring my gpa up to a 3.9-4.0 atleast.</p>

<p>so I have now brought my gpa up to a 3.86, and I found out the highest I can bring it by the end of this year is like a 3.91. Any more suggestions</p>

<p>I would say that you have a decent chance-keep up those grades for the mid year report.</p>

<p>I’m actually thinking now of majoring in Business Information Technology, a major that my counselor just showed me. I found it very interesting. That of course is offered in Pamplin. Is Pamplin easier to get into than Engineering, and would I have a higher chance of getting into Pamplin than Engineering. Not that it matters, when I apply, it will be based on what I’m interested in, not on what’s easier to get into.</p>

<p>Pamplin is easier to get in to, but if you’ve got the chops for engineering I’d do that. Computer/Industrial Engineers that don’t feel like doing engineering work take business jobs at will.</p>

<p>do you think I could get into Pamplin as of now</p>

<p>Do you think I could get into University Wisconsin - Madison, or University of Georgia</p>