NESCAC Campuses Ranked?

I believe Trinity’s original plan was more ambitious than ultimately realized. The Gothic architecture of Long Walk was intended as one of four sides to be expanded through three additional sides of a similar style to create an entirely Gothic quadrangle. Nonetheless, Trinity’s Oxford-like appearance, in miniature, endures to nice aesthetic effect. To include a statistical aspect of Trinity’s layout, its 100-acre campus, the smallest of the NESCACs, reflects its urban setting.

3 Likes

Of the ones I’ve seen, for pure campus beauty ,I 100% agree. But have to confess my bias as a Middlebury alum. Middlebury is located in between two sets of mountains - Green and the Adirondacks. Mountain views from basically every part of campus, which for me is hard to beat.

5 Likes

Williams has that feature as well.

4 Likes

I guess it’s all relative. We’re in MA and my D doesn’t find Hamilton’s weather too bad, though it’s certainly colder than here. We would use the “extra level fierce” label for colleges further north. When the University of Rochester tour guide points out their tunnel system as a great campus feature for unbearably cold days, you realize “upstate” and lake effect are on another level. Even my S that loves to ski and chose a university in Ithaca refused to go THAT far upstate!

2 Likes

OK, then, some Middlebury views:
(Middlebury College Campus - Aerial Drone Footage - Brool Video - YouTube)

2 Likes

Some of my kid’s photos:

Campus

Prescott / Chromatic, where she lived Junior and Senior years. It is a house for kids who have fine and performing arts interests and talents. It has a common room with a working fireplace, and a baby grand, two kitchens, a party space and a very large patio. All saw serious use.

5 Likes

Proximity to large bodies of water does tend to keep Rochester relatively warm, however. For example, as a comparison to the coldest of the NESCACs, Colby, Rochester averages 9.2 degrees warmer than Waterville on January mornings (a standard measure of winter cold).

4 Likes

I like Conn College’s campus, but I wish they had placed the chapel at the top center of the main quad. I have a soft spot for college chapels. I think more often than not they’re the most beautiful buildings on a college campus, and by design. Soaring spires, gothic or federal or Romanesque architecture, elegant interiors. I gravitate toward colleges where the chapel is the centerpiece.

4 Likes

So now we are fighting dirty? I’m bringing out the big guns!:wink:

10 Likes

Bobcats can out-charm a panther any day, and their winning smiles will trounce the competition. Look at that Bobcat! You know his friendly, relaxed appearance means the other team lets down their guard. See the intelligence behind the whiskers!
IMG_0444

3 Likes

Behold the evolution of the panther from friendly feline to fierce foe.

5 Likes

I see it @Lindagaf !!! I see it!!!

1 Like

Very beautiful indeed. The snow scene is like something out of a dream.

5 Likes

@MWolf I think this one shows Middlebury even better:

This one shows the campus a bit less artistically, but gives the viewer a realistic angle on the buildings. It also shows, I think, the true scale of the property, which is about the only complaint I’ve ever heard about Middlebury - that it’s spread out.

Having visited over 100 college and university campuses and all of the 11 NESCACs over the years, I will say that the NESCAC has the nicest/prettiest/classically beautiful campuses of any conference in the country IMHO. And due to their enduring popularity and growing endowments, each of the campuses are getting better resourced and nicer over time. However, if I had to choose one in this beauty contest, it pains me to admit the classic Williams campus would be a clear #1 of 11 with Middlebury #2. The Amherst campus pretty as it is will be improved functionally and visually when the eyesore of the old Merrill Science building overlooking the Holyoke Range is replaced by the new Campus Center/Dining Commons by 2026 (to be followed by a replacement for Frost Library in the early 2030s).

Curious, what are the major new building projects in the works at the other NESCACs?

4 Likes

I prefer the fun, retro panther. He looks like you could join him for a cup of coffee. :black_cat::coffee:

@mammoth85 Bates opened the brand new Bonney science center in 2021. Chase Hall is completing extensive renovations, I assume for the start of term.

4 Likes

Must be pretty warm in that sweater though…

1 Like

Can’t disagree with your top 2 and your overall comments.

This is what is up at Wesleyan:

Science Center:

Addition to Harriman Hall (Public Affairs Center):

And, unapologetically doubling down on the Center for the Arts and it’s limestone block, both greatly admired and disliked, is additional art gallery space:

There is a very cool project that involves Wes acquiring an old power plant building from its past (currently a bit of an eyesore) and remaking it into additional studio art space:

A significant expansion of the Film section of campus was completed last summer, adding greatly to their already considerable facilities. @circuitrider may know of others.

2 Likes

And for the OP, wherever he or she may be, this will show you how to get around:

5 Likes

My daughter is an Amherst grad, and her husband a Williams grad. They already jokingly disagree what school their son will go to. Duh, Amherst. It is beautiful and adjacent to town . Williams is nice, but it’s not Amherst

3 Likes