Middlebury: 6.5
Williams: 6.5
Amherst: 6.4
Bowdoin: 6.4
Colby: 6.4
Bates: 6.3
Hamilton: 6.2

3 Likes

Given the state of the planet, the legacy of these schools being “frozen over” in the winter may be a bit outdated.

I took a look at Clinton, NY for January of this year, and the average actual high was 35, compared to a historical average high of slightly under 30 (the calculated increase was 5.73 on average). At night is when the real change happens. This year the average low was 24.6, vs. a historical low of 11.9. That means the nights were almost 12 degrees warmer.

Sure, it’s a tiny sample, but after the month the planet had in July, it’s hard to imagine that historical average temps are good indicators of what to expect over the next 4 years.

This is very true. An environmental studies textbook with a Williams coauthor charts the changing weather in that one locale to make this same point.

Of course there will be outlier winters both warm and cold, and polar vortexes and so on - but in the main, this point is dead-on.

Love Fayerweather, but these boys in button downs aren’t really selling the school.

1 Like

Hey, CFA totally has it’s charms.

2 Likes

Loved my two years in WestCo!

2 Likes

A recent study shows changes in climate in this area in terms of a dramatic decline in winter snow cover:

1 Like

Yeah, I personally love the snow, I grew up playing in it, and if you could guarantee me more deep-snow days I would view that as a huge positive. So all this is sad to me.

4 Likes

More important than the architecture to us was how well the campus design encourages community, especially for freshmen. Personally, I appreciate the ugly Wesleyan dorms that have their own dining hall and courtyard for hanging out. That builds community.

And, having gone to a Big 10 school myself where the athletic fields were at the edges of campus, or even beyond, I love that Wesleyan’s fields are right in the middle of campus - seems more collegial, low-key and friendly. Like you could stop by and watch a friend in a game after class. Again, builds community.

Yes, the architecture is ‘eclectic’, but I don’t think the kids will care if you don’t.

2 Likes

Yeah, I’m scratching my head as to why this is a bad thing:

4 Likes

Mostly I was referring to the main interior space of Williams’ campus center (see photo), of which the Berkshire Eagle wrote this:

Campus living room | Archives | berkshireeagle.com
Campus living room

1 Like

It’s not!

Except for it being the wrong kind of football :wink:

4 Likes

Yes, I imagine Williams people spend a lot of time indoors.

2 Likes

Just saw this thread again - yes, Colby and all 3 Maine schools are absolutely gorgeous and I’m sure I would like Middlebury as well but have not seen that one yet! I just saw that this option is offered for Colby, Bates, Bowdoin kids if they really want a chance to compare campuses - cross-registration! Wonder if it’s new? My daughter has not mentioned this, but maybe it’s more for juniors/seniors? https://www.bowdoin.edu/registrar/pdf/cbb-cross-registration.pdf

2 Likes

The form is dated 2017.

As a practical matter… all of the schools are 45-60 minutes apart and require a car. I would wager that you can count the number of students using this option on one hand per year.

The time to compare is before you’re able to utilize the program.

2 Likes

Bates and Bowdoin are about 19 miles apart, but, yes, Colby is a bit further. We know a lot of students at all three colleges so I will try to find out more. Lots of the students have cars beginning freshman year. The colleges already share a lot of resources, which is nice to see.

1 Like

I’ve driven it…I’ve biked it… you can look on Google maps…it takes 40 mins by car. Door to door it’s an hour. Getting through Brunswick/Topsham and Lewiston isn’t highway driving. The route up the west side of the river is a great biking road…really beautiful.

I look forward to learning that the program is heavily utilized, but my experience on those things is that they are used primarily to sell more than educate. The reasons are varied and plentiful… travel, no privileges (like dining hall/library access), departmental acceptance that something is not available on campus.

I have a fair amount of experience with the Quaker Consortium (Penn, Swat, Haverford, BMC), and its “availability” in the information session doesn’t equate to utilization during 4 years of school. It happens, but it’s pretty rare.

-The bi-co classes (Haverford + BMC) are routine. There is a bus every 20 mins. Eat wherever you want.
-The tri-co classes are somewhat common (bi-co + Swat). There is a van hourly. Food vouchers/approvals are needed.
-The Quaker classes are rare. There are direct 20-25 min trains next to all of the campuses, and 10 to 20 mins of walking. No food. There are tons of places to buy lunch around/on campus.

My guess is that driving 45 mins each way for a class 20-30 times a semester just doesn’t happen much. It’s an opinion.

7 Likes

This topic was automatically closed 180 days after the last reply. If you’d like to reply, please flag the thread for moderator attention.