NESCAC Spoken Here: 2023 version

I learned something today:

The Kremlin is holding the door open for contacts with the U.S. regarding a possible prisoner exchange that could potentially involve jailed Wall Street Journal reporter and Bowdoin College graduate Evan Gershkovich.

Kremlin open to talks over potential prisoner swap involving Gershkovich (pressherald.com)

2 Likes

So, the news from Vermont is that Middlebury will be joining fellow NESCAC members in what seems to be a round-robin of bulldozing campus fixtures in the name of progress. On Tuesday the college announced the groundbreaking for a new dorm which upon completion will replace Battell Hall, the familiar, 1955 Georgian Revival structure that has graced the pages of countless brochures over the years:

New dorm for the twenty-first century student - The Middlebury Campus

This is in line with similar moves on the Williams and Wesleyan University campuses where returning alum have found themselves scratching their heads over the disappearance of such landmarks as the Ephs’ 1953 Baxter Hall, the scene of many a post-game deconstruction:

and Wesleyan’s first college-wide dining hall, the 1962 McConaughy Hall:

Meanwhile, this space will continue to eyeball Amherst’s Frost Library, Chapin Hall, Merrill Science Center and Mead Art Museum, all within the present generation’s apparent post-WWII, “mid-century modern” cross-hairs.

2 Likes

I hate when entities tear down beautiful things for no good reason. If it aint broke, don’t fix it. (if it is broke, of course
 fix it. Actually, according to tense, give it some money. hehe)

2 Likes

Amherst is currently tearing down the 1960s era Merrill Science Building complex and will replace it with a mammoth :slight_smile: new Student Center and Dining Commons. The new complex to be completed by the fall 2026 should have spectacular views of the Holyoke Range. The Student Center will shift the gravity of the campus further south away from Town and replace venerable Valentine Dining Hall and the inadequate Keefe Campus Center. For students living in the old frats/dorms in the Town of Amherst, it’s gonna be a significantly longer walk to the dining hall. (This also likely means that it will be awhile before anything gets done regarding a replacement for Frost Library. )

https://www.amherst.edu/campuslife/student-center

2 Likes

They collapsed a large chunk of the building right when we were walking past it on our tour. Our Amherst guide literally yelped in surprise. Fun moment.

2 Likes

I would caution Amherst against sheathing the new building in exposed and unpainted wood. The University of Washington tore down the old and historic Burke Museum building and replaced it with a similar (though taller) monolith sheathed exactly as the rendering shows. After a couple of years, it looks like ****. What is charming “weathering” on Cape Cod shingles looks crappy on big buildings with unstained or painted exposed wood siding. It’s a mistake I’ve seen made at many colleges. And it seems like a maintenance nightmare, particularly given New England winters and what they do to exteriors.

But, Amherst can afford mistakes, so c’est la vie.

2 Likes

It isn’t at all clear what exterior sheathing the new building will have from the drawings.

And is it just me or does anyone else find the 3 different webcams of the demolition oddly fascinating?

2 Likes

The picture on this site gives an idea where they’re going with it. But it’s just a rendering.

https://www.amherst.edu/campuslife/student-center

As chance would have it, the east facade of Battell graces the cover of PR’s latest college guide.

The plan is to tear down Battell and replace it with a new art museum. At least the new 296-bed dorm fits in nicely with existing campus architecture.

3 Likes

My son lived in Battell during the 2021-2022 school year. As freshman dorms go, it was a great social experience. But the dorm shows its age, and to be frank, Middlebury was doing the bare minimum to keep the building habitable. For the price you pay to attend Midd, a dorm built during the Eisenhower administration is not going to cut it.

2 Likes

Battell does appear to be among the oldest dormitories on the Middlebury campus (which begs the question: where were Middlebury students living before the Eisenhower administration?)

1 Like

Starr, Painter, Hepburn, Gifford, Forest.

The rendering is beautiful and agree it fits perfectly.

1 Like

My kid was there 2019-2020, so fall and J term really. I heard that they are finally renovating it.

1 Like

As @arcadia points out, there are older dormitories on the Middlebury campus. However, the others appear to be closer to the historic quad and at least two of them are important anchors to the row of granite buildings flanking Old Chapel. One would think they are safe from the wrecker’s ball. Battell Hall’s true crime was its inconvenient location, not quite in alignment with expansion plans for a secondary quad and not quite old enough to justify renovating.

Planning and executing post-Sputnik era expansion has been a unifying theme among the NESCACs and according to multiple sources, the newest Middlebury dorm will house close to 50% of the entering class.

1 Like

Evidently living at Battell was a rite of passage. It was so bad that any other dorm seemed like an improvement. It wasn’t its age as much as the fact that it was deteriorating. They either needed to do extensive renovations or tear it down. However, as you wrote, it really wasn’t old enough to be considered as an integral part of the campus, so they decided not to renovate it.

The biggest problem is that replacing Battell will only add 48 beds, and they need at least 100 more than that, especially if they seem to want to increase enrollment (though it’s not clear whether the high enrollment is simply because so many students took a semester or even a year off and are coming back).

2 Likes

From what I’ve read, the plan is to bring enrollment back down to around 2,500. The extra 300+ undergrads have really over-stressed the college and its resources.

Also, for those who may have missed, the acceptance rate for the class of 2027 was 11%. The numbers are buried deep within this press release:

2 Likes

I think Middlebury is worried how the present enrollment figures will eventually impact its off-campus population. Which I suppose brings us back to the whole dilemma of independent living options in a small town (is it taking away housing from local residents; will it lead to higher rents in and around the college? Etc.) In any event, at 2,500 undergraduates, Middlebury remains the third largest member of NESCAC after Tufts and Wesleyan University.

1 Like

Not sure if you saw this:

4 Likes

No, I hadn’t. Though the college’s concerns abut the number of students living off-campus did raise some flags. I’m glad that Middlebury - the college - is in a position to inject some much needed capital into its downtown.

4 Likes