New A&M Engineering policy?

<p>"The Dwight Look College of Engineering has changed its admission policy. In the past, the College of Engineering admitted Freshman to a specific major. With the new policy, Freshman applicants selected for admission will be admitted to the College of Engineering (ENGE) with a preference for the major noted on this application. Admitted students will be advised by the College of Engineering and will follow the degree plan for their preferred major. These changes offer admitted students the freedom to learn about the different engineering majors to better equip them to make informed decisions concerning which engineering discipline is the best fit for their career goals. Students apply to a major(s) after completing specific course work. Acceptance to a major is competitive."</p>

<p>This means that everyone will be in "General Engineering" the first year? Or will some people get into a major and others won't?</p>

<p>You are correct. Some will get into their desired major, some will get into a second choice and some may not get in one at all. Sort of a gamble. You get admitted to general engineering and then you may or may not get into your desired major. The letter my son received recently said he could apply for a major at the end of his first semester. He was admitted to engineering in August.</p>

<p>Thanks kldat1, hope I can get into the major of my choice :open_mouth: Applied so late though, I know I won’t get it :/</p>

<p>I think you are misunderstanding the new policy; no matter what, those who are admitted to engineering are admitted to general engineering. After that, they apply to their intended majors. The date you submit your application has nothing to do with getting into your preferred major.</p>

<p>The date you apply does make a difference of whether you get into engineering or not.</p>

<p>Are you sure? Apparently it’s first come first serve so the spots fill out very fast in the beginning</p>

<p>As far as I understand, they do this with the purpose of having more students. I dont know how long itll take for engineering to fill up, but if your concern is about your major filling up, thats not going to happen. Everyone will be in the general engineering program the first semester.</p>

<p>Wow that makes me feel so much better! But if they don’t admit anyone into a major, why do they ask for our major preference in the application? Sorry to bombard you with so many questions, I’m just so keen on going to A&M!</p>

<p>I’ll be honest- I don’t know. Here is what a TAMU Prospective Center representative replied after I told her I had changed majors from electrical to petroleum engineering:"Axel, </p>

<p>You will still be considered an “engineering” student for your first two years before selecting petroleum or any other. "</p>

<p>purpose is so students can truly decide on which engineering major they wish to pursue. so many want to change after their first year and its hard to change majors unless you have pretty good grades. leaves a lot of kids making irrational decisions as 18 year olds…</p>

<p>It still seems odd to me that Computer Science would be included in this policy, since the degree requirements are considerably different.</p>

<p>^Agree on the CS. The CBK courses are quite different from the Engineering CBK’s.</p>

<p>So as long as we perform fairly well in the general engineering courses we can get into the major of our choice after the first year?</p>

<p>That seems to be the question with this new policy. What if 1500 want into petroleum but they only have room for 1000? What di they use to decide? Obviously GPA will be part of it but there may be other factors too.</p>

<p>This is kind of old but I hope someone sees it. According to my professor “Students will be accepted as general engineering and the GPA “cut-off” that each major has i.e. 3.25 for BMEN, 2.75 MEEN etc will be removed. Instead each department will set a max number for students they will admit.” My advice is have a solid GPA freshman year < 3.25 and it wont matter what rules they make. I know this sounds this dumb but start studying physics OVER THE SUMMER. The pace is very quick and you will be happy you started early.</p>

<p>^ in the above message i meant academic advisor not professor. Sorry about it. My advisor is dr. Fidel fernandez, bmen!</p>

<p>Does this affect transfer students?</p>

<p>Thanks Eagles2013! I’ll study hard this summer, don’t want to fall behind.
I called A&M Engineering and I didn’t get a proper answer; I’m not exactly sure how many spots have been filled but they did say that it’s first come first serve. Darn it…should’ve applied in August :/</p>

<p>Not sure I understand the rationale for the new engineering major policy. If I understand it correctly, they are admitting everyone into general engineering because they want students to learn about the different engineering majors before deciding. In the past many students have changed majors within the first several years. So what is wrong with changing majors? Is it so difficult to manage the change requests? There are some students who know after graduating high school what they want to major in and some that don’t. The new policy will cause those who know what they want major in to think twice about TAMU, especially if they are admitted to another school to the major of their choice.</p>

<p>What is wrong is they are trying to get kids to graduate in 4 years and changing majors makes that difficult. I see where they are coming from. I also think you are right about people looking at other schools that will direct admit them to their chosen major. My son will be applying next year and A&M has been his first choice but the change in policy has him looking a little harder at Purdue. </p>

<p>The new policy at A&M creates a little more uncertainty and could force one to change schools after one or two years in order to pursue their chosen major. This is an issue at the University of Washington where kids with a 3.5+ are often not admitted into their chosen engineering major. The bar is always moving so you do not know what the criteria is up front. This is a primary reason why the University of Washington will not be receiving an application from my son.</p>