New Acceptance Rate, why of course!!

<p>So, i'm just curious as to know if anybody has any guesses or the real stats about Miami's acceptance rate this year. I did get in and I thought that i would, but after finding out how fierce the competition was this year, I actually did begin to worry lol. I mean, people that had stats way higher than me were waitlisted. So yesh, just a little curiosity :P.</p>

<p>Im really curious as well. I know last year it was 40%. my letter said it was a historic year in both number of apps and how talented the class was so im guessing mayby it lowered 5% or something like that. my guess is 30-35%. anythign lower than that would be ridiculous :D</p>

<p>Ok here are the numbers from last year:
19,000 apps
7,000 acceptances
36% accept rate.
This is from thehurricaneonline.com
its the student newspaper.</p>

<p>this year they recieved 21,000 apps. assuming they take 7,000 again it would make UM's accept rate 33% :P scary for next years class!</p>

<p>CollegeBoard updated all of their stats.</p>

<p>It say's Miami's acceptance rate is 40%.</p>

<p>Last year it was around 44%</p>

<p>impossible, I know for a fact that UM is still evaluating apps. They wont finish till at least april 15th which is what their website says. SOCAL, collegeboard has often made mistakes posting their information. Also the best way to find out if its accurate is checking to see if UM released a Common Data Set for 2007 year to Collegeboard. If they have not released it yet (which im sure they have not) then the info is not even verified by Umiami which proves inacurrate.</p>

<p>Miami doesn't post a Common Data Set, so I think CollegeBoard is a pretty accurate guide. Honestly everything Miami puts on their website is pretty exaggerated.</p>

<p>I've seen their avg. gpa at 4.2, and that definitely is inflated. I wish Miami would show proof by creating a common data set, but until I see that, I will never believe their avg gpa is a 4.2. </p>

<p>I mean Miami is great, but the average student doesn't have grades like that.</p>

<p>fwiw- US News Best Colleges 2007 premium online gives acceptance rate of 46 %; since that came out in August 2006, that must be for 05-06 academic year
it gives average high school GPA as 4</p>

<p>If Miami says their average gpa is a 4.2, then its a 4.2. Its hard to believe cuz it does seem exagerated but take note that its a weighted average. their unweighted is probably 3.7ish. UM wont blatantly lie about their stats like that. They are honest with us just as we should be honest with them when posting Ec's and other stuff. I guess one has to trust them the same way they trust us. It would be great for them to post a Common Data Set but they would probably just post the same info into a more detailed document. </p>

<p>Miami has always had a really high gpa because they dont recalculate so they get GPA's from schools that put in physical edu, and other stuff liek that. If ur gpa is not at the average do not worry. they dont look at the number as much. They will look in detail at ur classes uve taken and ur scores.</p>

<p>I understand how UMiami does their gpa, but I am skeptical of the 4.2 because I have seen it at a 4.1, 4.04, and a 4.0.</p>

<p>hmm my letter said 20,000 applied 2,000 accepted..but I applied to the School of Music..so that is creative wording on their part.</p>

<p>Cheery pie wat they said was true. However they twisted the wording a bit. 20,000 applied for a "class of 2000". I think wat it really means is that 2,000 is what ends up going. After looking around, i found out they actually accepted 7,000 students. Thats around a 35% acceptance rate. Collegeboard says its 40% so the real number is in between those 2. Still a very very competetive acceptance rate, making UMiami the most competetive school in Florida.</p>

<p>fyi: at UM, every year is a historic year hahah</p>

<p>and here I was feeling all special :)</p>

<p>Hahaha, Ladyconfused was admitted during a historic year. Looks like we broke ur record :)
Nah Cherrypie, u should feel proud cuz it aint easy to get into either.
35% acc. rate isnt necesarilly a duckwalk u know ;)</p>

<p>35% accept rate? holly shiznit! that's harder than cmu! WAH $#&#($*&(#&^%...is that to say that if you could get in here you could..get into cmu! (carnegie mellon)</p>

<p>35% accept rate? holly shiznit! that's harder than cmu! WAH $#&#($*&(#&^%...is that to say that if you could get in here you could..get into cmu! (carnegie mellon)</p>

<p>jeremybeach, be realistic man.</p>

<p>Well mayby CMU has higher standards. and the applicant pool might be a bit more competetive than the applicant pool at Miami. So therefore, Miami tries to wee out a bunch of the slackers to make sure its reputation increases as a highly selective school.</p>

<p>haha i know. I wasn't really being serious :P. Besides i'd choose miami over cmu anyday! (not to say i have ANY idea where i'm going yet though...)</p>

<p>I dunno man, CMU is ivy league now :D
but who knows if mayby Miami will one day be the only tropical ivy league school :D</p>