New Bus Route to Downtown Tuscaloosa

<p>From UA’s Student News:

</p>

<p>Along with providing a way to park for free and get to UA without having to walk for a mile down University Boulevard, this route can be used to get to downtown Tuscaloosa and to transfer to other bus routes operated by the Tuscaloosa Transit Authority. While the Tuscaloosa Transit Authority already operates a route that passes through campus, this new route will offer more frequent service and is free for UA students, faculty, and staff. Service started on August 8th.</p>

<p>Nice, thanks for the link. </p>

<p>I’d like to see them add a loop bus from campus to University Mall via 15th st. I’d have it make only 4 stops. Univ & Hackberry, Hackberry & 15th st, 7th ave & 15th st, and Univ Mall. Would take about 30 mins to run the loop.</p>

<p>This would give kids a chance to get to and from the mall, midtown village, and Target. As well as commuters a chance to park at Univ mall and bus onto campus.</p>

<p>Could they make a bus route downtown that goes until about 3AM on weekends? I know LSU does this and I feel like something similar would be help more students to get home safely. There are a lot of students who would really appreciate this.</p>

<p>Sounds like a good idea. This will fill up the downtown parking deck (free to park).</p>

<p>I agree pramirez. If Dr. Witt wants to move the bars downtown then he should provide students a safe way to get back and forth to them from campus.</p>

<p>A shuttle bus to the university mall would be a blast from the past as the mall is the site of a former UA campus (Northington) that dissolved after an inter-departmental land trade a few decades ago.</p>

<p>Speaking as one who has waited in the freezing cold at the Intermodal Facility for 348-Ride, I would also like to have a bus a bus route that goes downtown on weekend nights. For the daytime routes, I do expect that they will have the “We do not stop at the ABC Store” sign prominently posted. </p>

<p>Part of me senses that Tuscaloosa was having a hard time filling the Intermodal Facility’s parking garage, hence this agreement. </p>

<p>I don’t know the exact funding agreement, but assuming that this route isn’t entirely UA or Federally-funded, students are going to see more of a benefit from the large amounts of revenue (sales, alcohol, tobacco, and gasoline taxes) that they bring to the City of Tuscaloosa and Tuscaloosa County.</p>

<p>Dumb question…</p>

<p>I’m guessing that the free parking aspect is for those who won’t be using the bus service?</p>

<p>The way it’s written together makes it sound like a person would “park and ride”…but isn’t it really that a Bama person would either ride the bus OR drive and park in the free facility?</p>

<p>Or maybe it’s too early in the am for me to read this all clearly…which is very possible. lol</p>

<p>^^
The freezing cold? XD (sorry, had to joke)</p>

<p>Anyhow, I’m pretty sure the Crimson Ride will still serve downtown through the school year- right now, it’s from 6 PM- 7AM, though I’m sure that’ll change soon.</p>

<p>The downtown parking deck is free for everybody. The bus will be free for ACT Card holders (though I don’t see how that will be enforced as none of the CR busses have the ability to take fares).</p>

<p>The Crimson Ride will not be operating the new route; the Tuscaloosa Transit Authority bus (painted to look like a trolley) that will be operating the route has a fare box.</p>

<p>kansasdem, there is a difference between freezing cold and refreshing cold. ;)</p>

<p>m2ck, it is being advertised as a park and ride service, though it can also be used as a way to get between campus and downtown.</p>

<p>Yeah a free ride to Mugshots without having to find a place to park. Sounds like Heaven :-)</p>

<p>The more public transportation, the better.</p>