New College

<p>Does anyone have any experience with the New College at Alabama? It seems really interesting, but I’ve yet to meet anyone who’s gone through it. </p>

<p>I’ve known a number of people who were in New College and have visited the New College’s spaces in Lloyd Hall many times. It’s a great program with lots of student and faculty interaction. If you have an idea for a major that’s currently not offered at UA, New College can be a great option. For example, a number of undergraduates have majored in linguistics through New College. That said, if your desired curriculum is very similar to an existing major with just a few extra classes, it’s a good idea to go that route. It’s not overly difficult to get permission to take courses outside of ones major in the event one needs an override into a course. You could still be involved with many New College activities. After all, it’s a good idea to know people in a variety of departments. It’s very common for students and faculty to attend lectures and seminars hosted by other departments.</p>

<p>Thanks so much!</p>

<p>One lingering question I still have is, what is on the actual diploma? Like, if I want to make a corporate theory major (I don’t know, just a hypothetical) through the New College, would my diploma say I majored in Corporate Theory or that I majored in the New College?</p>

<p>Your transcript will say that you majored in Interdisciplinary Studies. Your diploma would say that you earned a Bachelor of Arts degree.</p>