New computer: college educational discounts

Quick question: what has your experience been buying computers through your student’s college educational discount?

D has a fairly new Mac, but I was thinking she could give this to her sibling and get a new one. When I looked at the Apple educational discount and compared it to the same model at Best Buy, Best Buy actually seemed cheaper. (I am assuming I was comparing the same models.)

Years ago, when I got my first Mac, I got it through my university at the educational discount from Apple. That was clearly a good deal way back when, but is it still a good deal today?

While the education discount is year round, there can often be better deals these days at sites like Best Buy or Amazon or other retailers at specific times of year.

I generally check two places, first the MacRumors Buying Guide to see where in the life cycle the product may be, as to whether or not I should buy it now, or if it’s better to wait a couple of months.

Then I will check TomsGuide for info on specific sales on MacBooks:

https://www.tomsguide.com/search?searchTerm=macbook

3 Likes

In the past, Apple has had a “back to school” promotion starting in late June and running through September. In addition to the educational discount, students could get free AirPods. I think last year that was changed to an Apple gift card of up to $150 depending on which computer you bought. I’m not sure what they will do this year, but I’m holding off on buying my D’s computer until the end of June so I can see what the options are.

3 Likes

Yup. The university discounts used to be pretty good 30+ years ago. Now they’re not that great at our schools. Costco or Microcenter is always at least as good or better. The one thing that is better at our university comp centers is the discount offered on Applecare if that’s important to you.

Good thought. The pc market has been soft this year. Maybe offers will be aggressive.

1 Like