New Dorm Information

<p>Last night I listened to the Housing presentation/chat regarding recontracting. They stated that the new dorm would not be honors and would mostly house freshman with few spots for others.</p>

<p>Rose is still scheduled to be demolished early this summer.</p>

<p>Is the new dorm the one that is being run by an outside company, with all of the amenities. Or are you talking about another dorm?</p>

<p>It’s the new one being built on campus next to Rose Tower, I believe it will be called North Bluff? It is a UA dorm, not a private one.</p>

<p>So, it is not this one? [Student</a> housing complex to replace Delaware Jackson | TuscaloosaNews.com](<a href=“http://www.tuscaloosanews.com/article/20110718/NEWS/110719726/1007/news?Title=Student-housing-complex-to-replace-Delaware-Jackson]Student”>http://www.tuscaloosanews.com/article/20110718/NEWS/110719726/1007/news?Title=Student-housing-complex-to-replace-Delaware-Jackson)</p>

<p>No, it’s not.</p>

<p>You can find it on this page listed as New Construction: [Student</a> Affairs | Housing & Residential Communities](<a href=“http://housing.ua.edu/halls/hall_list.cfm]Student”>http://housing.ua.edu/halls/hall_list.cfm)</p>

<p>OK, thanks. I was getting confused by all of the new housing talk lately. Did they say anything about the Delaware Jackson housing complex on the call? It was supposed to be open next summer as well.</p>

<p>Did they say anything about the Delaware Jackson housing complex on the call?</p>

<p>It sounds like that complex is completely private off-campus housing, so Bama wouldn’t be involved with it. Similar to The Retreat. It may be designed with students in mind, but that doesn’t mean that Bama has any ties to it.</p>

<p>So with North Bluff being non-Honors, Riverside North going to all honors and The Bluff perhaps out of the mix as a housing scholarship option, anyone know what the net change in honors rooms would be? I have to assume that there will be more honors freshmen in Fall 2012 than there were in Fall 2011 based on recent trends.</p>

<p>I think the analysis is more of a net effect when determining how many beds were in Rose, which will be shut down, against the new beds in North Bluff. I think that in another thread that was determined to be adding additional Net beds to the total population if I am remembering that correctly.</p>

<p>*So with North Bluff being non-Honors, Riverside North going to all honors and The Bluff perhaps out of the mix as a housing scholarship option, anyone know what the net change in honors rooms would be? *</p>

<p>Someone posted earlier, that The Bluff is still an option for next year. Don’t know if that’s true.</p>

<p>If The Bluff is not available, it’s hard to know what the net change is because we don’t know how many beds in Riverside N are occupied with non-honors and are vacant.</p>

<p>Also, did we hear that some non-honors students were placed in Ridgecrest South NT?</p>

<p>The Bluff will still be an option for next year. But, students that are currently in those spaces can select to live in their same space again, if they are approved to live on campus again. So in terms of how many rooms will be available for students to move TO The Bluff, we can’t say for sure.</p>

<p>That sounds a little convoluted when you read it, but I hope it makes sense. Please let me know if it doesn’t!</p>

<p>UAHousing, is it definite that there won’t be honors suites in North Bluff, or has that not been finally decided?</p>

<p>Honors Housing will be located in Riverside North, East and West, Lakeside West, and Ridgecrest West and South/North Tower. We are increasing the number of Honors spaces but trying to keep them in close proximity to better maintain the strong sense of community that we have in the Honors Community.</p>

<p>Thank you, UA housing!</p>

<p>and South/North Tower.</p>

<p>Is that new to have honors students in South Tower? </p>

<p>How many honors **beds **will there be next year?</p>

<p>Thanks for the info, UAHousing. I read the South/North tower to mean Ridgecrest South, North Tower only. Is that correct? Anyone know if the North Tower is currently all honors?</p>

<p>Oh yeah…I misread…I was thinking that they might be making some of North tower as honors.</p>

<p>North Tower of Ridgecrest South will be all Honors next year. It’s currently housing Honors and non-Honors students.</p>

<h2>The Tuscaloosa News: “The complex will be built on a 10.4-acre site between the hospital and the UA School of Law on land that was formerly owned by the Tuscaloosa Housing Authority.”</h2>

<p>Hard to believe the university let that land go.</p>

<p>Does ridgecrest north mean the same thing as ridgecrest south, north tower?</p>