New Fraternity starting up

<p>If there are any boys out there interested in joining a historically Jewish (but not required to be Jewish) fraternity called Alpha Epsilon Pi, feel free to message me. Because it is new, most guys have already joined a fraternity already and can’t switch, so it will be growing hopefully when the new class comes in August. I guess they used to have a chapter on campus but it dissolved many years ago.</p>

<p>Iota Deuteron chapter, colonized 1942. I think they closed sometime in the mid to late 1960s. Seems like I remember their house being on the street that used to be where the north entrance to the stadium is now.
The street came off university and curved behind the sorority houses and came out next to the Kappa Alpha Theta house.</p>

<p>Is there already a Jewish fraternity on campus?</p>

<p>With all the OOS students, there is probably a large percentage of Jewish kids on campus now, just like there is now a large percentage of Catholic kids.</p>

<p>Hope they find a nice group of boys to start up their new chapter.</p>

<p>Bama is definitely gaining a reputation around here as the place to go if you want to go Greek. Many local kids are choosing it over the school up the river because of the predominance of the Greek scene, which they are very much looking forward to.</p>

<p>Yes, there is a chapter of ZBT on campus (they just renovated their house to the tune of a couple million dollars, I believe). It will be interesting to see if there are enough Jewish kids to support two historically Jewish fraternities. I know the numbers have been rising in recent years with the increase in OOS kids, but I’m not sure it would be considered a “large” percentage yet.</p>

<p>Proudmama3 - if you can PM me some contact info or other info, I will pass it along to my S. He’s not sure if he wants to join a fraternity, but I’m sure he would be open to meeting some kids to see if he likes them. Regardless, I wish them lots of luck and success - it’s a big undertaking to recolonize, isn’t it?</p>

<p>Southlander- how would you remember where their house was if they closed it in the sixties?</p>

<p>Montegut- I don’t know exactly the size of the Jewish population on campus now, but its not too big. I’m sure there are also Jewish kids in non Jewish fraternities too. I could see it growing though with lots of OOS kids coming.</p>

<p>The location was pointed out to me when I was a freshman in fall 1970. This was either shortly after or before it was torn down. Apparently there were two or three fraternities on that section of street…it’s possible there was a sorority there at one time. Heck, it’s possible it was the AEPhi house rather than the AEPi house! </p>

<p>Seems like there was a post a long time ago about UA building a reputation many years ago for being welcoming to Jewish students who were not welcome at some northeastern institutions of higher learning.</p>