New Jersey Scholars Program 2018

Thanks, lostaquarian good luck in the rest of hs!

yeah i still haven’t received anything but fingers crossed

got in!

my friend said that he didn’t get an email yet. does that mean he didn’t make it?

If you didn’t get an email, I advise you guys to first check your parent’s emails. Mine was sent there

it’s not there either. should he just email them and ask?

Interviews are next week; could any past finalist shed some light on the interview and the questions and such.

The questions they ask you are really varied. When we got there in the summer and talked about our interviews, some people got some realllllyyyyyy weird questions. Everything from “If Obama walked into the room, what would you say?” to “What vegetable would you be and why?” It depends on your interviewers, and the direction the conversation goes.
It’s a group interview. They want to see how you think and interact with others. Respond to people, don’t just go in order. Don’t dominate the conversation. Show that you’re interesting. Ask questions. Don’t be overintellectual.
Before the interview, you will have a tour led by last year’s scholars (maybe I’ll see you there!). They hype you up, and offer more specific advice. Often, as I found out later by talking to my tour guides, they can tell who’s going to get into the program based on the tour–your natural personality, when you’re not showing off.

Wow, thanks that’s very helpful!

about how long does the tour and interview take?

^Yes that will be helpful.

Also, I wanted to know, specifically what kind of outfit is expected, especially for a girl. Like, is a dress fine, or a blouse and pencil skirt/ dress pants are more preferred? Or should we go more “speech and debate team style” with blazers? I just don’t want to look out of place lol

all the girls wore dress pants because we were outside for most of the tour and it was cold

Does anyone know when the results are coming back?

They said latest April 7
 how did you interview go?

Honestly, I don’t know. I feel like it was okay but I don’t want to get my hopes up in case I get rejected. How was yours?
Also, they said the final decisions would be made today after the last interviews so hopefully we hear back this week.

I think it went well, my interview group was pretty intellectual and they had to abruptly end the discussion because we got pretty deep 40 minutes in, but I have never done such an interview so idk

Hi everyone! This is my first time on this thread. I also think it went pretty well and they said to start checking after April 6
 I’m so so nervous cause I kept on asking a lot of questions and sort of like
 talked a lot in the interview
 but I hope I didn’t come off as dominating cause I definitely wanted and tried to let people talk before me
 I dunno but fingers crossed!

Everyone was super nice and I feel like all them were able to voice their thoughts more coherently than me. Honestly congratulations to everyone for getting this far! Oh and like memyself&thesquarerootof-1 said, we got really deep into the interview about the question of the meaning of life and what is reality?

do you guys think we will hear back this week or next week?

Probably next week but the sooner the better