New pet peeve: test optional at top schools

SAT scores are correlated with grades, except when they aren’t (15% grades higher than scores, 15% scores higher than grades, if I recall?). That’s a full third of apps.

Last fall, when @Jeff_Selingo hosted a thread on his new book, Jeff Selingo Reveals "Who Gets In and Why" - ASK HIM ANYTHING! posts #64 and 66:

1. Is there a particular impression/stereotype of students submitting a relatively high score and relatively low GPA?
    When I read your question the first group I thought of: boys

3: I have heard a number of AOs (mostly at LACs) say the average GPA of admitted boys is significantly lower than girls. Did you see boys receive relatively more leeway than girls on GPA in the admission process?
Yes.

Food for thought on the extent to which the additional data point of scores may or may not add value to the holistic process, on when AOs are giving leeway for grades. Perhaps AOs give the leeway regardless of the score data point, or perhaps more leeway when a relatively higher score is present? Eventually, does that lead to a question of fairness to, say, a female applicant with the same type of discrepancy? and how much is the review process relying on characteristic tendencies of a demographic group rather than actual data on a particular applicant? Just thinking out loud, if any of this makes sense.

1 Like