New private dorm proposed

<p>This time--the Catholics. With the church not exactly riding high in pulic opinion and the size it might be a long shot at this time. Something for everyone at UW.</p>

<p>St</a>. Paul?s proposes new Catholic Center on campus</p>

<p>Interesting news. I like the modern center that was in place even when I was there. More conservative architecture would have been a turn off for me. I wonder how many students would want to live in a building with a requirement for religious course credits- some parents may love it , but even with the percentage of Catholics instate and therefore on campus I wonder if they could fill their housing. I also would worry there would be a split between those heavily involved in the center and the rest of the students who currently worship there. I would want to see survey results showing a need. That is all before the esthetic considerations of a 14 story building at that location.</p>

<p>Frankly almost anything would be better than the eyesore there now. The current church is a particularly ugly concrete expression of ecclesiastic architecture.</p>

<p>But I don’t think a 14 (or even 10) story building would be appropriate on the mall.</p>