NEw Program for incoming freshmen

<p>Camp 1831 created to orient future freshmen
Crimson White – Nov. 5
Preparation for entering college will take on new elements this August as incoming freshmen and transfer students of The University of Alabama will have the opportunity to attend Camp 1831, a three-day event that will incorporate features of both traditional orientation and summer camp. Named after the University’s founding in 1831, the camp will be held at Camp McDowell in the Bankhead National Forest near Nauvoo, Ala. The First Year Experience division of the Office of Student Affairs is planning the program to host two different sessions in August for the first year, each serving about 150 students. The program will focus on four main themes: adventure, tradition, service and leadership. Sara Hartley, the director of First Year Experience, said the program should easily mold students into the lifestyle at the University. “By introducing these students to the history, traditions, resources, opportunities and people at UA, we hope to ease their academic and social transition to the institution,” Hartley said. David Wilson, a senior majoring in economics, sits on the advisory committee for the planning of Camp 1831.</p>

<p>Would this be in addition to/in place of Outdoor Action? This is so encouraging that there is a concerted effort to immerse the freshmen into the social and community aspect of the school…</p>

<p>I am so glad that they’ve started this for ALL frosh. I’ve been wishing for this!! But, boy they’re going to have to have more than 2 sessions</p>

<p>TAMU has Fish Camp which is a beloved tradition and Bama needed something similar.</p>

<p>I agree M2CK, two sessions is probably not enough but I think since it is a new program, they are limited by the amount of upperclassmen mentors.</p>

<p>In reading up on this, I believe that this program will be in addition to Outdoor and Alabama Action. It seems like it is open to any freshman or transfer student, not just to Honors College students.</p>

<p>Wow - sounds wonderful. I wonder if this will conflict with band camp?</p>

<p>i thought they needed this…BAD! </p>

<p>fish camp is a huge deal to help the freshman at tamu get plugged in. most kids make new friends at fish camp that they stay friends with through all four years.</p>

<p>but, yeah, to only offer it to 300 (of the 5000?) freshman is not nearly sufficient.</p>

<p>I was just asking some people why UA couldn’t have a ropes course or something similar for incoming freshmen. This is a great start and I hope that it proves popular enough to be expanded in future years.</p>

<p>I just mentioned this to a friend this morning; her D has been accepted to UA for the fall and will not go through recruitment or participate in the Honors college. Camp MacDowell is VERY familiar in my circle as it’s the Episcopal Camp for the Diocese of Alabama. Is there a link to this anywhere? Any specifics on how to sign up?</p>

<p>^^^^Here is a link to FYE First Year Experience
[First</a> Year Experience](<a href=“http://fye.ua.edu/tcamp.cfm]First”>http://fye.ua.edu/tcamp.cfm)</p>

<p>I do not see an application for Camp 1831 yet, but there are links on that page to other great freshmen programs.</p>

<p>Thank You!</p>

<p>Bumping as more details have been released. Looks like they will hire 24 student leaders for any current students interested. </p>

<p>[University</a> of Alabama News Camp 1831 to Introduce UA Students to Traditions, Civic Engagement](<a href=“http://uanews.ua.edu/2013/01/camp-1831-to-introduce-ua-students-to-traditions-civic-engagment/]University”>http://uanews.ua.edu/2013/01/camp-1831-to-introduce-ua-students-to-traditions-civic-engagment/)</p>

<p>“Students entering UA during summer or fall of 2013 are eligible to participate in one of two Camp 1831 sessions in 2013: Aug. 6-8 or Aug. 12-14. Registration will open on April 1 at fye.ua.edu. The program has a fee of $140, including transportation, camp lodging, meals and Camp 1831 gear. The camp will take place at Camp McDowell in Nauvoo.”</p>

<p>I can’t see many OOS students doing this program, as what will they do if they attend camp Aug 6-8, for example, up until the time school starts? Even after the Aug 12-14 one, what do the kids then do for the entire week until school starts? Are they allowed to move in early into their dorms, like they are for AA and OA?</p>

<p>*Even after the Aug 12-14 one, what do the kids then do for the entire week until school starts? *</p>

<p>Usually AA and OA start about 10 days before school starts. WOW week usually starts about 5 days before school starts, so there would be things for them to do.</p>

<p>I imagine the dorms will be open. </p>

<p>When is the last Bama Bound?</p>