New Student Conference?

<p>I know this is kinda early, but I want to start preparing now Are there any pointers that I could get or things I should be aware of when going to the New Student Conference in the summer? I'm probably not gonna stay at a dorm on campus overnight. My parents are actually thinking of driving back the same first day and then driving back again the next day (since it's 'a 2 day thing) I'm 3 hours away so it's somewhat far.
Would it be better to stay at a nearby hotel? Is there anything I should bring, like paperwork, that could be helpful when speaking to the advisor?</p>

<p>In my opinion, the dorms are cheaper to stay in (only $62 a night for a single room or $31 a night for a double room). I know gas compensates the amount you would have stayed in at a hotel, but I think I will get a heartier experience without my parents :slight_smile: They might drag me places I do not wanna go, and I get to actually feel like a student before I really am!</p>

<p>D is going to stay in the dorm, mom and dad in hotel… </p>

<p>I have heard you can do some of the things like getting ID card the day before NSC starts. Does anyone know if this is true?</p>

<p>rushedmom, Yes! We went up the afternoon before. It was easy to get the ID and attend a few early session which took the stress out of the second day. Definitely not necessary, but nice if you have the option.</p>

<p>What you NEED is a firm understanding of the courses you will be taking because the last morning you will actually register for fall! Google “tamu online catalog” (it may not be out yet for fall but will be soon). As soon as you’ve done the math placement and gotten your AP test scores you’ll be able to determine the courses you should take. You can email your advisor ahead of time if you have questions. Being prepared will take the stress out of the situation. You’ll be able to see the course sections (times/profs/availability) online - my son figured out some schedule options the night before using the hotel wifi.</p>

<p>OP: You don’t need to take anything really - they have your records there. I would at least have printed a couple of pages from the online catalog with the freshman suggested courses though. </p>

<p>Check around for hotel rates as soon as you are scheduled and maybe you can find an inexpensive room. We started pretty early that second day so maybe your parents would let you stay in the dorm that one night and come back to pick you up that next day?</p>

<p>Enjoy! It’s an exciting time!!!</p>

<p>Yes, it was true in the past. You have to check-in first(the afternoon before NSC starts). The ID line on Day 1 is VERY long, took us two tries to get to the front as they close it between sessions. You can also get it Day 2. NSC is packed with activities & sessions, where you choose to sleep is truly just that - there wasn’t much ‘free time’ so hotel or dorms didn’t matter. Between Day 1 and Day 2 you are picking multiple versions of your potential class schedule ( if this closes, then this…). There are also student only and parent only sessions - so you will be separated at times during NSC. Overall, it was a great experience!</p>

<p>wow…this all seems kinda crazy lol Do we have to get our Student ID during the NSC or can we get it at anytime? I will be going in June to get some paperwork out of the way but my NSC isn’t until July. Could I get my ID then?</p>

<p>So the whole point of the NSC is to register for classes right? Can someone give me an idea of what Day 1 looks like vs. Day 2?</p>

<p>I’m sorry for all the questions but I don’t personally know anyone going to TAMU so I have nobody to give me the inside looks lol I’ll be going there without knowing a single soul. It’s pretty scary</p>

<p>@Eve411 - we knew no one when we went as well (and the same will be true this time)- don’t worry, just like the tours of the school, EVERYONE is friendly and helpful. There is no reason to get your ID early, there are lots of opportunities to get it during NSC. They will send out a detailed itinerary later. There seemed to be two points to NSC - registering for classes and a preview of college life (for you & your parents). There are question and answer sessions & sessions where they just give you tons of information. Day 1 also included your breakout to your college & advisors, Day 2 you got even more info. and registered for your classes at the assigned location in a computer lab. Parents are not allowed in the computer lab - so it is just students & the advisors. Along the way you will meet tons of students, learn about the traditions, the housing options, and info. specific to your selected college. It is very well organized and you’re busy,so not knowing people isn’t an issue at all. They take very good care of you :)</p>

<p>You can get it afterwards. I know this because a friend’s daughter forgot her ID so she waited until the week before school to get hers.</p>

<p>@Eve411, Try to attend Fish Camp. [Fish</a> Camp 2012 ~ A Freshman’s First Tradition | Fish Camp](<a href=“http://fishcamp.tamu.edu/]Fish”>http://fishcamp.tamu.edu/) That is a great way to make a group of friends prior to school starting. Agree with AGmomx2, day1 has a lot of optional stuff with one critical thing - your session with an advisor. Day2 was just showing up to register (with the advisor around to help). Don’t worry! You will love TAMU!</p>

<p>Thank you for the feedback! This is all pretty useful. I can’t believe we only have about 4 months until classes start for the fall. Gotta start preparing now :)</p>

<p>I know, Hook 'Em! Jp haha. I wish A&M would’nt have left the Big 12. I wish I could have gone to a Lonestar Showdown at least once in my collegiate career. The crowd is certainly intimidating at Kyle field. Gig 'Em ya lame Aggies \m/ :P</p>

<p>Sent from my Desire HD using CC</p>

<p>Is there a limited amount of seat available for each NSC date? Like if I wait until the very end to register, could it potentially give me no flexibility in terms of the dates I could attend? Because I will be gone the entire July, and if I got stuck with a date in July, i’m sorta screwed.</p>

<p>^ Yes, each date has a limited amount of seats available. You can always change your NSC date, though, and spots can open up because of people changing their dates. This is why you should register early, because there’s no harm in it.</p>

<p>^The only reason why I still have not registered is because I’m still waiting for my financial aid offers from UT Austin. And to register for NSC, I have to accept the admission first. Not sure if I can cancel that afterwards though…</p>

<p>The NSC fee is non-refundable.</p>

<p>The only NSC dates available right now are August, there are currently two dates available with about 480 seats. (We have been checking to try to reschedule to an earlier date).</p>

<p>When is the schedule for the NSC sessions coming out?</p>